Bit morbid but how did people afford a photographer for the dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit morbid but how did people afford a photographer for the dead

I recently saw some stuff on youtube, how Victorians would have a photo of their dead, usually posed among other live family members.
    What I wondered was ,how on earth did they arrange it,as I would assume it had to be pretty quick after death, and also not cheap.

Val

It is astonishing what people managed to pay for as far as funerals and memorials were concerned. Sometimes it was paid for out of a burial policy, other times people went into debt. I don't think photographers were all that dear though.

My mother grew up in dire poverty in North East Scotland during the 1920s Depression and she was always very scathing about how the local community would have a door to door collection for flowers and a drink(!) for someone who had died, whilst the widow and her children would be away to the workhouse as soon as the funeral was over.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, dont know if you have seen any of the photos? I would rather remember them as they were, I did read once that often poor women would take the shroud of a child before it was buried, to save it for the next one, it must have been so hard.

Comment

Yes, I have seen one or two, I find them creepy I have to say. I think we had a long thread on here ages ago about some weird photo someone had of an ancestor and we decided it was a photo of a dead person but with a living person,s face on it. Photo shopped! Who knows why.

OC

Comment

must say I wish I'd never looked now.

Comment

Working...
          X