1901 census look up please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1901 census look up please.

I have found a Lily A Howe b. 1871 (spouse Charles S. Howe) in the index for the 1901 census Please can someone tell me her place of birth and any other relevant information.

Many thanks.
    Cath.

Originally posted by Cath RJ View Post
    I have found a Lily A Howe b. 1871 (spouse Charles S. Howe) in the index for the 1901 census Please can someone tell me her place of birth and any other relevant information.

Many thanks.
    Lily was born in Sussex, Brighton. Husband Charles was a railway clerk.
    By 1911 they have a daughter called Doris, born in ?Wealdstone? and aged 7.
    Also on the 1911 census is Lily's sister called Florence HARRIS so that gives Lily a maiden name but so far I can't find a marriage for Lily and Charles - will keep looking.
    According to the 1911 census they were married 10 years so must have been newly wed at the 1901 census.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Just found the marriage.
      Charles Samuel HOWE married Lily Augusta HARRIS in Islington in 1901
      Volume 1b page 639
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Wee bit more - Charles's father was Joseph, a printer and Lily's father was Thomas William a jeweller.
        herky

Comment

Very many thanks. My elusive grandmother was also Lily Augusta Harris but appears to have been born in 1874 in the Oxford workhouse. I think I was grasping at straws when I found the same marriage that Herky found. My grandparents first child, William, was born in 1901 but I never found a marriage for them even though they were "married" for 30 years. I'd hoped the Harris/ Howe marriage might explain this. Even after searching for very many years I 'm still like a dog with a bone over this brick wall.
          Cath.

Comment

I assume 'yours' is the Lily Augusta Wall Howe born to a single mother Cath?
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chris, mine is Lily Augusta Wall Harris who called herself Graham after about 1900. Her apparently single mother was Emily Jane Harris. Can't discover where the Wall came from. I also can find no mention of either Lily or her mother in 1881. I've a probable for Lily in 1891 but have never been able to really prove that these two Lily Augustas was really the woman who claimed to be my grandfather's wife.
              Cath.

Comment

How do you know they were married for 30 years? What was William' surname - Harris or Howe?
                Have you found the family on 1911 census or 1939 register? Where was your grandfather born? Was his name Charles Howe? I' m a bit confused as to what you know for certain.
                Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Hi Kat,
                  Sorry but I think I may have confused you. Howe marriage is a complete no go. I was clutching at straws when I found it, hoping it was the reason she couldn't marry my grandfather. "My " Lily was with my grandfather Thomas Graham in Bury from at least 1901 until his death in 1930. She died in 1934. From the 1901 census she claimed to be his wife but no marriage has ever been found. (They fibbed a bit on the 1911 census too!) She was Graham from 1901 to her death. I have the birth cert. for Lily Augusta Wall Harris but have never been able to prove that she was definitely the same person who "married" my grandfather.
                  Thanks for trying.
                  Cath.

Comment

So this would be Williams Birth:
                    GRAHAM, WILLIAM BRIDGMAN HARRIS
                    GRO Reference: 1901 J Quarter in BURY (BURY AND LANCASTER) Volume 08C Page 573

Bridgman maybe a clue here then.
                    Kat

Comment

Bridgman maybe a clue here then.

If it is, we can't fathom it. Thomas was married and widowed twice before Lily came along.
                      All his children (6 surviving) from his first marriage have Scottish surnames as their middle names. (All accounted for.) His second marriage produced just one son with just one name. Apart from William Bridgman all the rest of his and Lily's children have only one name. We believe he fathered at least 18 children altogether!!
                      Cath.

Comment

Lily Harris is this the birth you have:

HARRIS, LILY AUGUSTA WALL
                        GRO Reference: 1874 D Quarter in HEADINGTON Volume 03A Page 649
                        with mother Emily Jane Harris?

I wonder if this is Emily on 1861 census with her grandparents:
                        Name: Emily Harris
                        Estimated birth year: 1856
                        Relation: Granddaughter
                        Where born: Headington, Oxfordshire, England
                        County/Island: Oxfordshire
                        Registration district: Headington
                        Piece: 890
                        Folio: 63
                        Page Number: 2

Henry Hedges 68
                        Susannah Hedges 58
                        Emma Hedges 16
                        Emily Harris 5
                        William Horwood 41

Going out now. Will look later if no one else follows up.
                        Kat

Comment

No Emily Jane just this birth
                          HARRIS, EMILY MMN HEDGES
                          GRO Reference: 1855 S Quarter in HEADINGTON UNION Volume 03A Page 466
                          Kat

Comment

Is this the baptism for the Emily Harris that Kat found ......

Oxfordshire, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1915

Baptism Date: 2 Sep 1855
                            Baptism Place: Headington, St Andrew, Oxfordshire
                            Father: John Harris
                            Mother: Amelia Harris

The image shows their address as Headington Barton, and John was a Labourer

In case it helps ...........

A John Harris married Amelia Hedges registered Oxford, December quarter 1849

Name: John Harris
                            Marriage or Bann Date: 8 Oct 1849
                            Marriage Place: Oxford, St Aldate, Oxfordshire, England

Spouse: Amelia Hedges
                            Father: James Harris
                            Spouse Father: Henry Hedges

John was a Labourer, both fathers Farmers
                            Both John and Amelia "of Full Age"
                            Witnesses: William Harris and Eliza Riddle (or Biddle)
                            Last edited by Sylvia C; 03-04-17, 01:34.
                            My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I cannot see Lily with her mother anywhere on the 1881 census but just in case you want to look further into this Emily possibly being Lily's mother:

John and Amelia 1861 census and Emily is not there. Her grandparents live only 3km away.
                              Where born: Heddington, Oxfordshire, England
                              Piece: 890
                              Folio: 18
                              Page Number: 7

Emily is with her father John on 1871 census, Amelia died 1869:
                              Registration district: Headington
                              Piece: 1434
                              Folio: 16
                              Page Number: 4

Marriage:
                              Marriage or Bann Date: 15 May 1878
                              Marriage Place: Elsfield, Oxfordshire, England
                              Spouse: George Clarke
                              Father: John Harris
                              Kat

Comment

There's a Lily Harris, aged 15yrs. on the 1891 census living in St. Pancras. She was living with Caroline and Arthur Smith. She was described as niece and she was born in Oxford St. Clements. This is the district of Headington where the workhouse was.

This looked too good not to follow up, so I looked at Caroline, also born in Oxford, and her mm was Brimfield.
                                By 1901 Caroline had a different niece with her. This time Gertrude Clara Harris. This niece turns out to be the dau. of Clara Brimfield and Henry John Harris, all of Headington.

This led me to look at Harris/Brimfield connections in Oxford and there are so many I had to give up!
                                I'd left this alone for quite a few years now because it is just sooo frustrating.
                                Last edited by Cath RJ; 03-04-17, 14:18.
                                Cath.

Comment

Cath
                                  On Lily's birth cert what was the actual date of birth and address and the informant name, occupation and address?

It is often worth following through with marriages of the mother as the child may be on a census using the mother's new married name not her birth name.
                                  Last edited by Katarzyna; 04-04-17, 09:37. Reason: additional info
                                  Kat

Comment

LILY AUGUSTA WALL HARRIS. Born November 26? 1874. Mother Emily Jane Harris, domestic servant.

Place of birth Oxford Workhouse, Cowley Road, Reg. district, Headington, sub district Saint Clement.

Informant Mother, address Oxford Workhouse.
                                    Cath.

Comment

Working...
                                    X