Frederick Hutchings birth and passage to Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frederick Hutchings birth and passage to Australia

I would like to find Frederick Hutchings birth record, who did he travel with to Australia and his whereabouts up to the age of 38, I have plenty of records from 38 onward, my research skills for his birth has drawn a blank!
    His Australian marriage certificate says he was born in St John's, Canada.
    Birth approx 1879 it might be the 26/12 but not sure
    His death certificate says he came out to Australia at the age of 16.
    No information about him in Australian records until he married Hilda May Hurt at the registry office in Maryborough Queensland - 5/11/1917. She was 14 he was 38
    His mother is Mary Miller and George Hutchings (profession Cook) his father, as stated on the marriage certificate.
    Any help appreciated as always.

Yes Elaine that is him, I have searched for his birth in Newfoundland and Labrador but drew a blank.

Comment

I had a look too, did all sorts of searches, will give it another look
      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

so the only evidence of his birth being in Canada is from his marriage and death certificates??
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Yes it is only his marriage & death certificates that hold the evidence he was born in St Johns NL.
          I have done extensive searches to find a passage to Australia also his birth. I tried the Archives of Victoria and the Historic Early Shipping & Immigration site for his entry into Australia but nothing for the year(s) he is supposed to have entered approx aged 16 upward.

I did find 1 birth in the UK that matches the year he was born but different parents (Job & Sarah) they emigrated to Canada when their son Frederick when he was 1 year old but this is not him.

Was there an 1881 census in NL , I couldn't find one to see if he appears on that?

Comment

Sadly there is no Canada census for Newfoundland and Labrador for the critical years as they were not part of Canada until much later but do search the following site just in case....

Re. his arrival in Australia, his death announcement (which I imagine you have from TROVE) states he was born in Canada and came to Australia age 16 landing at Melbourne and shortly afterwards went to Marlborough. I would just suggest that you might like to consider that he may have been older or younger on arrival as the reported event is many years before his death. But it may be right!

Comment

Per my previous post, I think it would have been Maryborough QLD

Comment

FMP have Electoral registers for Frederick HUTCHINGS including the following:

1900 Charters Towers QLD born 1879
                1901 Carpentaria QLD born 1880
                190 Kennedy QLD born 1878

Are any of them your man?

Comment

Civil registration started in 1892 in Newfoundland.

Before that records of birth/baptism, marriage and deaths were made by the church.

Have you tried contacting the Provincial Archives ?

bcbrit
                  George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

bcbrit - I have tried the Provincial Archives but again drew a blank but I will re-visit them looking under his mother and fathers names.

Bertie -
                    Library and Archives Canada have been trawled through but I do keep going back to them.

The FMP Electoral register I have looked at but I must admit I am unsure how to interpret what I see. The one for Frederick born in 1879 Charters Towers QLD has him as 21yrs - Am I correct in thinking I would see his parents on the same page? also the end column 'Date when claim received is 1895 - 5yrs before that register in 1900, why is that?

My elusive Frederick has got to be registered somewhere either Canada or Australia!!!!

Comment

I believe Frederick was born in St Johns New Brunswick not Newfoundland

Comment

Working...
                      X