Searching WW2 Military Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching WW2 Military Records

I am trying to trace a relative born about 1910 and now deceased. I have been running FTM, Find My Past, Genes Reunited etc for the the last ten years and consider myself pretty clued up on genealogy record searching. HOWEVER!!!!! I cannot find any information about my late father in law despite his slightly unusual christian names (Donald Claude). My only hope appears to be WW2 service records so is there a site where i can search Army or RAF records without knowing a Persons service number? Thanks.

Hello elscint and welcome to FTF
    If you would like to post what details you know about him someone may be able to help. Please remember not to post the names of anyone who is, or who may still be alive though.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

WW2 service records are still held by the Ministry of Defence. You can apply for copies. The process differs slightly depending on if/when the person died and your relationship but the standard cost is £30. They can take a while to arrive ( 2 or 3 months isn't uncommon).

If you don't know which service he was in, you may have to make more than one application ( a service number isn't always required).
      Last edited by AntonyM; 31-03-17, 09:27.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

AntonyM,
        Thanks for that, I did look on the .GOV website but am reluctant at this stage to pay £60 for two searches

Comment

Working...
        X