The Castle Cambridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Castle Cambridge

In the British Newspaper Archives found a reference to my 2xgreat grandfather William Parkinson. In the Cambridge Independent Press 10 October 1857. 'Commitments to the Castle. Wm Parkinson, Hauxton, threatening his wife, six months, or find sureties'.

I believe the Castle goal was demolished in 1842. Where can I find anything else about this 'incident'. Six months would be for more than a verbal threat but I assume some actual harm? What does 'find sureties' mean in this context? William and his wife Mary Jane seem to have an improved life together thereafter having several children and still together until William died in 1873.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Parky

I assume that 'or find sureties' meant money from a guarantor that would ensure he didn't abscond or commit the offence again?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The castle gaol wasn't demolished until 1928.

Interesting though, as in 1850 a man could beat his wife senseless if he wished. As long as he didn't actually kill her, no crime was committed. So six months for a mere threat is very odd indeed.

I agree, the sureties were a bail bond.

OC

Comment

Thank you for the replies regarding guarantors and bail bonds.

Would an offence of this nature, 'threatening his wife' be listed in the Quarter Sessions and if so are these searchable online other than a trip to the Cambridgeshire Archives?

Sorry for any confusion regarding the closure of the Cambridge Castle gaol. Wikipedia suggests 1842 when a new prison was built in the castle bailey and this was closed down in 1932.

Again thanks for the help so far.
        parky

Comment

Working...
        X