From Windows Vista to Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Windows Vista to Windows 10

Now that I have decided I really must do something before it's too late I have been thinking how I should do various things (there is no-one I know that can help me out):

1. I have my family tree on FTM and backup on a USB2 after I use it. How can I transfer all my tree details from Vista onto W10? I have heard about using GEDCOM, is this a suitable way of doing it (I have never had to use this).

2. How can I transfer all my favourites/bookmarks from one to another?

I am sure there must be other things to do that I haven't thought about yet. I don't have a problem with e-mails (gmail), or MS Word docs or photos as I keep these on USB2s.

If anyone can be of assistance I would appreciate the help.
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Good luck I have recently gone over from Vista, its so much different.
    I installed my FTM using the disc then imported my tree from Ancestry into it, do you have it on Ancestry? if not just install the disc and import your saved tree into it, dont forget gedcoms do not transfer media, so when you save your tree to the usb make sure the media bit is ticked.
    There may be a better way am sure somebody will come along if there is.

Comment

Thanks for that Val. Did you buy a laptop or PC, can't decide which to buy!
      Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

I bought a desktop as I dont really like working on laptops for my tree ,I already have two of those, am wondering whether to update them, I've just seen a refurbished Windows 7 desktop which I'm tempted to buy

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
          Now that I have decided I really must do something before it's too late I have been thinking how I should do various things (there is no-one I know that can help me out):

1. I have my family tree on FTM and backup on a USB2 after I use it. How can I transfer all my tree details from Vista onto W10? I have heard about using GEDCOM, is this a suitable way of doing it (I have never had to use this).

2. How can I transfer all my favourites/bookmarks from one to another?

I am sure there must be other things to do that I haven't thought about yet. I don't have a problem with e-mails (gmail), or MS Word docs or photos as I keep these on USB2s.

If anyone can be of assistance I would appreciate the help.
          The best and most complete way is simply by transferring the files or folder to the new computer or laptop rather than using gedcom.
          First check the name you have given your family tree on your old computer/laptop.
          Check what folder and drive it is in.

If all your files are in a folder named FTM on the C drive of your old computer/laptop create a folder named FTM on your new computer/laptop and copy everything into it.
          After that is done install the FTM program on your computer/laptop and open your family tree.

Cheers
          Guy
          Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks Guy, sounds easy enough!

Any ideas on the favourites/bookmarks?

Comment

I did that yesterday I installed Firefox and it imported my favourite's easily, and I have synced it to my other desktop,couldn't work out the proper way.

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
                Thanks Guy, sounds easy enough!

Any ideas on the favourites/bookmarks?
                I would say all browsers have the option to import bookmarks/favourites.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                X