Joseph McElvenny Scotland or England?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joseph McElvenny Scotland or England?

Joseph was born 1894 Glasgow to parents Francis B1865 Ireland & Margaret B 1871 Dundee and had a brother Daniel B 1887 Glasgow. I have all the family on the Scottish 1901 census in Dundee but can't find them in 1911. Both Daniel & Joseph were in England the 1920's so did they and the parents move to England after 1901?

I can see the family together in Scotland on the Glasgow Electoral Roll for the Gorbals 1920

Francis
    Mrs Margaret
    Daniel D
    Joseph D

Living at Florence Street, Gorbals

Not sure what the D refers to. Later years it was for qualifying because of wife's occupation

Joseph still with parents in 1923 but not 1926
    Can't see Daniel after 1920.

So likely to be in Scotland for 1911 if that is your family at Florence Street. Have had a search on Scotland's People which throws up lots of variants of McEllveney but nothing when specific.

I can see mother Margaret in Eccles with Daniel and Ethel in 1939 although her dob is way out at 1863.

Found one Francis McIlvany aged 50 Kirkfieldbank but not your family. Will take another look at SP

Vera
    Last edited by vera2013; 28-03-17, 16:34.

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
      I can see the family together in Scotland on the Glasgow Electoral Roll for the Gorbals 1920

Francis
      Mrs Margaret
      Daniel D
      Joseph D

Living at Florence Street, Gorbals

Not sure what the D refers to. Later years it was for qualifying because of wife's occupation

Joseph still with parents in 1923 but not 1926
      Can't see Daniel after 1920.

So likely to be in Scotland for 1911 if that is your family at Florence Street. Have had a search on Scotland's People which throws up lots of variants of McEllveney but nothing when specific.

I can see mother Margaret in Eccles with Daniel and Ethel in 1939 although her dob is way out at 1863.

Found one Francis McIlvany aged 50 Kirkfieldbank but not your family. Will take another look at SP

Vera
      Thank you vera and that is deffianatly them. If i remember Daniel was married to Ethel in 1923 in Manchester (Eccles) and Joseph married 1926 (Bury). So that would mean they were probably still there in 1911. The family name is a bit of a nightmare as i've come across about 5 different ways of spelling it depending on whom has transcribed it.

Comment

Just as an addition. On the 1901 census they were living in Dundee.

Andrew

Comment

1911 Scotland Census from Scotland's People

McElveney, Francis 52 Bricklayer, b Londonderry, Ireland

McElveney, Margaret 44 married 25years 4 children born in marriage, 2 living b Dunkeld, Perthshire

McElveney, Daniel, 23 House Builder b Glasgow

McElveney, Joseph 16 Music Hall b Glasgow

Living 142 ?Naburn Street, Hutchenstown, Lanark (Glasgow Goven)

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 28-03-17, 20:43.

Comment

Brilliant Thanks Vera2013

Comment

That should read for

Daniel. Bricklayer, House Builder

Joseph Electrician, Music Hall

I will pm you the image when I work out how to do it

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                That should read for

Daniel. Bricklayer, House Builder

Joseph Electrician, Music Hall

I will pm you the image when I work out how to do it

Vera
                Thanks Vera. Though i never knew that Joseph, who's was my grandfather, was an electrician though i knew about him being in the music hall/stage as a song and dance man.

Comment

Working...
                X