Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any gun enthusiasts around to help me please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any gun enthusiasts around to help me please?

Hello all,

I'm hoping there may be some gun enthusiasts among us who could help me.

My 5 x g.grandfather, Matthew Spencer, was a gunsmith from Kings Lynn in Norfolk from about 1804 to 1853. He is listed in a dictionary of Guns & Gunmakers and it says that he made sporting guns, reservoir airguns and revolvers. I was also thrilled to discover that he made a blunderbuss that was sold at an auction at Bonhams in 2011 for £13,500!

Until I discovered the sale of the blunderbuss it never occurred to me that there might still be some of his guns around. I would love to be able to trace one, perhaps in a museum somewhere, but have absolutely no idea where to start. The googling I've done keeps pointing me to military museums.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

P.S. I have a long lost cousin coming over from Australia in May and would love to be able to show him a gun made by our mutual ancestor.

You could ask Bonhams who they sold it to and maybe ask the purchaser if you could view it. If not if they had a photograph of it.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks JBee - I do have a photo of it (see below) - I know nothing about guns but think it's a beauty!

I did think of contacting Bonham's but thought they probably wouldn't tell me who they sold it to in case I wanted to steal it.

Blunderbuss.jpg

Comment

I would think the chances of finding a 200 yr old gun a little remote - a lot depends on how much use it has had - all the components tend to wear and tear basically - you have to oil and grease parts of the gun - where the trigger is there is a tiny spring and there is a little tiny screw that you tighten or loosen to control the trigger - hence the saying a Hair Trigger - the width of a hair to tighten or loosen makes a BIG difference .
        I sincerely hope you do find one - these publishers publish 4 monthly magazines - try ordering one from your Newspaper shop for advice
        Sporting Gun is the best selling magazine for clay, game, and rough shooters as well as deer stalkers. Monthly features range from gundog training to pigeon shooting, game shooting to wildfowling – along with sound, practical advice on equipment and techniques to help the beginner, intermediate or experienced Shot get more enjoyment from their sport....
        Last edited by garstonite; 28-03-17, 09:25.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thanks for your reply Garstonite. I know of two of his guns that have survived (both sold at Bonhams auctioneers) so I live in hope! I will check out the magazines, that could be very useful, thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X