Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find James Ernest Ouseley in the 1911 Census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find James Ernest Ouseley in the 1911 Census?

I'm really sorry, I'm aware I seem to be asking lots of questions!

I'm trying to help another relative find her grandfather's brother in the 1911 census but failing miserably!

His name is: James Ernest Ouseley, b. 1892 Bermondsey London

his mother died in 1906 and in the 1911 census his father, George James, was living at 15 Dunlop Place, Bermondsey with his younger siblings: (Alice) Maud, Frederick, Winnie, Rose and Ernest.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...11/edit/record

His elder brother, George Richard, was boarding with his future wife's family, the Gibbons.

I know that he must be somewhere, as he died in 1917. He wasn't married.

Can anybody please find him for me? (I am hoping it is that the surname has been mis-transcribed, but I've been looking on and off all weekend and still not found it and I know that you are all so amazing!)
    :D Charney Jo

Hi Charney,

I found this record on ancestry, but unfortunately I don't have a fold 3 membership to open the file.

There is a free trial membership though.

UK, Naval and Military Court Martials, Reg 1806 -1930

James E Ousley
    Court trial 12 February 1911
    Aldershot
    Royal Fusiliers
    W0 86/59

bcbrit
    George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Hi Charney,

There are four records for him on www.forces-war-records.co.uk

He served in Royal Fusiliers, private 13272, and Royal Tank Corp, lance corporal, 200926

bcbrit
      George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

There is also this ??

1911 Census, Aldershot, Surrey, Corunna Barracks

Walter Ousely, private, age 20, single, 4th Royal Fusiliers, born London, Middlesex, occupation groom.

However, I can not find a Walter Ouseley anywhere else of that age. There is a Walter Ouseley from Devon, but he was some twenty years older.

Could someone have written James' name wrong on the census ??

Worth thinking about,

bcbrit

Comment

Wow, thanks! Off to see what I can find with that information.

Comment

I should say, he was a Lance Corporel in the Tanks Corps when he died. I'm just trying to find his number. I wonder what he was court martialled for? Anyone have a fold 3 membership please?

Comment

Ah yes, that's definitely him! His Service Medal and Awards Roll on Ancestry has both numbers. It didn't occur to me that he joined up before WW1!

Comment

Thanks bcbrit. I took up the free week on Fold 3 and he was court-martialled for desertion. It's just a register though, so no further details. Shame!

And the other documents are all a James Ouseley from Leek, Staffs.

Comment

Hi Charney Jo,

Is it worth emailing the National Archives at Kew, giving them the file number WO86/59 , and seeing if they have more information?

bcbrit

Comment

Originally posted by bcbrit View Post
                    Hi Charney Jo,

Is it worth emailing the National Archives at Kew, giving them the file number WO86/59 , and seeing if they have more information?

bcbrit
                    If anyone from FTF is going to Kew, they might look it up and email the images to you. You'd need to put a post on the Research Requests.
                    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Presumably, you've picked up the exact date for death from the CWGC site? It doesn't mention his age, nor give any family information.
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. Great idea about requesting if anyone is going to Kew. I'll pop a message on now.
                        Last edited by Charney Jo; 23-03-17, 13:21.

Comment

Working...
                        X