Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eva Spencer, cradle snatcher? and John Arber, toy boy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eva Spencer, cradle snatcher? and John Arber, toy boy?

A distant relative of mine, Margaret E Buxton married John Benjamin Arber. I found his birth registration which gave me his mother’s maiden name of Spencer.

The only marriage I could find was John P. Arber and Eva Spencer who were married in 1917 in Grantham. The only birth I could find for John Preston Arber was in 1905 at Upton upon Severn and he also appears in the 1911 census aged 5. That would make John 12 and Eva 23 when they married. As I understand it, the law in 1917 gave a minimum age of consent of 14 for boys and 12 for girls. Have I missed something? Any comments on this?

Had a quick look but found the same as you but not sure about John Preston Arber. Remember it was in the middle of WW1 and he could have been a soldier that had been billeted anywhere in the country.

Marriage or birth certificate would be the best way to go.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

There's also a marriage between Benjamin Arber and Emily Spencer in 1917
      Jackie

Comment

John P Arber, birth date 28 october 1905 which fits with the q4 1905 birth of John Preston Arber was married to Eveline L Slaney (born 1907) in 1935 and living in Norfolk in 1939
        Eva Arber, born 26 Sept 1892, was in Matlock Derbyshire in 1939, with husband James P Arber also born 1892, with a number of children whose births show mother's maiden name as Spencer.
        Last edited by JudithM; 18-03-17, 19:26.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I think James P Arber is your man. He died in 1975 in Sheffield if that helps. John Benjamin Arber died in Sheffield too in 1981.
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-03-17, 09:41.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks to all for that, I sometimes seem to get tunnel vision can't see that I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Comment

Working...
            X