Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to find a next of kin for a WW2 Airman / Do you think this is "my" Roland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find a next of kin for a WW2 Airman / Do you think this is "my" Roland?

I have been looking at my mother in law's family and found a cousin she doesn't know about. Well, I assume that it is him - I am looking for Roland S Sidwell, born in Birmingham in 1922 to Stanley and Amelia Sidwell (nee Carpenter). His siblings I traced back to Birmingham in the Ancestry Midland Electoral Registers after 1945 but I can't find a record for him. From that I took that he never returned to Birmingham after WW2. I checked on the CWGC and there is this listing:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/27...nSearchResults

Further Googling leads me to see that he was in a plane shot down over Denmark in 1943 but there is no next of kin listed.

If anyone has a moment (and the inclination!), I would appreciate if someone could please have a check and see if they agree that he is "mine".

Thanks.
    :D Charney Jo

With a relatively unusual name, and an age which fits, it seems very likely this is your man. Did you see the grave registration report on the CWGC entry?

He was originally recorded as unknown British airman and not identified until 1998.
    Last edited by JudithM; 17-03-17, 18:42.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Yes Judith I did. I thinks it's too much of a coincidence - especially that the "S" is Stanley which was "my" Roland's father's name, so likely middle-name. I've had such trouble tracing information about this family that I was worried I was getting carried away.

His body wasn't found for 2 months as it was and then he wasn't formally identified until 1998. I wonder how he was identified?

Comment

BMD_OVS_RAFA_000380.jpg
        dont know if you have seen this

Comment

dont know if you have seen and read this scroll down if you have not

Comment

Thanks Val. I hadn't seen the first death register entry but it does support what I found. And yes, I saw the 2nd one. It's particularly poignant as it lists 19 planes lost that night. So scary!

It's such a shame that he didn't have a next of kin listed. I wonder why, especially at such a young age? I wonder if it was the same reason that his father didn't keep in contact with his siblings? I'm not sure I'll ever know.

Comment

I read it as they are were not sure it was him? why don't you contact them and give them the missing details, they would appreciate that.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                I read it as they are were not sure it was him? why don't you contact them and give them the missing details, they would appreciate that.
                CWGC will only take on records that are fully backed up. My great uncle was listed as "age unknown", but I collected up the information (and documents), and he's now listed with an age and family connections. If you get in touch, they will explain what they need from you. It's possible that they took and recorded DNA at the time they identified him - in which case it may be possible to establish the connection to your family?

C
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is only one birth registration in England and Wales for a Roland S Sidwell between 1913 and 1943, which was at Birmingham in the September quarter 1922, mothers maiden name Carpenter. That being so makes it highly likely that the Roland Stanley Sidwell, 20, RAF Wireless Operator/Air Gunner who died on 21/4/1943 over Denmark, must be your man.

merleyone

Comment

It looks as though he was probably still at home in 1939 as there are 3 redacted below the parents, likely the 3 sons.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      It looks as though he was probably still at home in 1939 as there are 3 redacted below the parents, likely the 3 sons.
                      If the stuff from CWWG is acceptable to FMP maybe they would open the record to check.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]18494[/ATTACH]
                        dont know if you have seen this
                        Getting the death cert should do it for FMP.

Margaret

Comment

Given Val found a death registration for Ronald S Sidwell in 1945 I wonder if it is him on the 1939 as the death was before 1991.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                            Given Val found a death registration for Ronald S Sidwell in 1945 I wonder if it is him on the 1939 as the death was before 1991.

Margaret
                            That Roland S Sidwell death in 1943 was a war death though, so have FMP cross checked the war dead too?

Stanley and Amelia only appear to have had 3 sons and there are 3 redactions.
                            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-03-17, 13:20.

Comment

That Roland S Sidwell death in 1943 was a war death though, so have FMP cross checked the war dead too?

Stanley and Amelia only appear to have had 3 sons and there are 3 redactions.
                              Don't know but I might point it out to them!
                              Margaret

Comment

Hmmm - just realised that the other two boys were twins and George appears to have died in the following quarter. So there must have been someone else there.
                                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 19-03-17, 13:26.

Comment

Hi

Sorry, only just got on again. They did have 3 living children - they had a girl too (Marie Amelia - 1920-1990).

Comment

So does that tie up the loose ends now?

Comment

I think so Chrissie. As nobody has managed to find an alternative, I guess I can assume it is him.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Well everything seems to fit Jo

Comment

Working...
                                        X