Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The George Endres Family -Mombris, Baveria Germany

George_Endres_Family_Group.JPG

-I am hoping to get some help on what would be my Great Great Grandfather and his family. Please see the above Family Group sheet
    They resided in a village or town called Mömbris, Aschaffenburg, Bayern, Germany.

Key things that I'm Missing

-Birth locations / Birth Dates of both Elizabeth and George
    -Elizabeth's Maiden Name Kern - (
    see post #8 below) Elizabeth Kern Endres Birthdate 5/16/1835 (see post #59 George Endres family)
    -Marriage Date / Location -George and Elizabeth.
    -Any Civil type records .... census / city directories in Mombris for the family
    -Military records on George or his older 2 sons, John S. or Godfrey
    (I've done general military searches in US but found nothing yet)

-The Family was Catholic
    -All the children were born in Mombris but I do not know where the parents were born... but I'm guessing it could be in, or near Mombris.

-Elizabeth would have been 27 when her first son was born in 1862. So maybe George and Elizabeth were married near that time.

-They all immigrated in 1883 / 1884 to a city in Minnesota called Faribault,Rice,Minnesota (at one time Faribault had its own county, but most all records have been found under Rice County.

-George was nearly 60, his wife 50 when they immigrated. I have them each in 2 state census (1885,1895) but neither of these shows how long they were married. Elizabeth had the nerve to die
    before the 1900 census taker came to the door

-I really don't need anything from the US... I have lots of marriage,death indexes/burial Info. Census documents for both the parents and children.

Any Help in the Germany End would be so very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 21-03-17, 06:23. Reason: maiden name added/birth date

There are no central records in germany, like census or bmd's. It's all held in local archives. So you would need to find out which archives holds those records. And to be honest german script is almost illegible in many records. Unless you can travel to do the research yourself, i would suggest hiring a researcher. This can be expensive, but i've had one working for me for five years on five of my six german families, and the results are brilliant. He has sent the images of the entries, and i can't even make out the names for most entries.

Comment

@kylejustin I've seen some of the script you are referring to... I watched a real interesting lecture on reading german script...Even people who speak german natively have problems reading it. But they did show some key things you can look for and extract important facts from. Truthfully, travel and hiring researchers are just out of the question for me financially at this time, so I'm hoping to get lucky somehow. Let me share with you and others what a Baverian Forum posted to me regarding my inquiry to where to find church records.....

you should request for baptism records of the older children, e.g. for Maria Theresia Endres (the older children are actuall John S and Michael).
      Such a record contains the mothers maden name in most cases.
      Mömbris (Moembris) belongs to the catholic diocese Würzburg, please write to the following address:

Archiv des Bistums Würzburg
      Domerschulstr. 17
      97070 Würzburg
      E-Mail: abbw(at)bistum-wuerzburg.de

So my question(s) is this....
      1) How can I determine where the archives that hold civil type records /city direcories /census/military records be held for Mombris ... I know the general time frame the family lived there 1860-1884. That's a lot of years
      2) I only have access to Ancestory Library edition and familysearch .... does this Ancestory gold edition I read about, have more extensive European data bases to search?
      3) Based on what the Baverian Forum member said on the chuch records... Would that provide a clue on where other records / databases may be held for Mombris.

Let me know your thoughts...I just have no experience at all with Germany ..

Comment

familysearch has a wiki/research guide. Here's the advice about finding records:
        There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, or search the related logs, but you do not have permission to create this page.

but I didn't find your small town. Have you found the nearest, largest town?

Comment

Looking on google maps I found Aschaffenburg and this entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aschaffenburg and this for Mombris https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6mbris.

On google maps I found the address for the Town Hall in Aschaffenburg - Dalbergstraße 15, 63739 Aschaffenburg, Germany www.aschaffenburg.de T: +49 6021 3300 their website is here http://www.aschaffenburg.de/DE_index_1000.html you can select English for the website so have a good look around it then make contact.

Margaret

Comment

I think you should bear in mind that most English record offices now have to charge for any intensive or detailed searches carried out on behalf of individuals (my local office does one quick and straightforward request for free e.g John Smith & Mary Jones married at Exton - can you tell me the date? Or, can you give me the details of any Smith burials Exton 1815 - 1890?)
            So, research queries abroad may also incur charges. Sometimes it is as cheap, or cheaper, to use the services of a local researcher who knows the system, having asked for a price quote first of course.

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 16-03-17, 12:12.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

@photofamily That's a great guide and a good starting point. I pretty much assumed that Aschaffenburg was like what we refer to as a county. In my initial research I quickly found that Mombris did not show up very much in google searches ect
              I started looking on older maps couldnt find it on the ones I was looking at. I have seen in a couple documents in spelled Moembris, but can't say for sure why the difference in spelling. So no, I haven't located what would be larger towns near it.

@margaretmarch Thank you for the link, I'm going to explore their site later this afternoon.

Comment

UPDATE on Elizabeth Endres

@janet in Yorkshire I do realize that many places charge fees for research queries, I don't have a problem with that, providing I know for a fact they actually hold the records I'm seeking. I can't imagine how much hired researchers charge, but I know it would be way out of my budget right now. I had a funny thing happen today that kind of leads into this update.

I called today a vital records office in Minnesota to see how much a death certificate would cost for Elizabeth Endres, the mother of family I'm seeking help on. One of the main problems noted in post 1, is that I didn't have her Maiden name.
                This nice lady I spoke with, looked up her record and just started reading to me everything on the certificate. Under the Fathers name section it said KERN. The mothers section said unknown.

Maiden Name of Elizabeth Endres - Elizabeth Kern

I did some searching on FamilySearch but didn't come up with anything yet. But I wanted to give this update. I wish I could edit the first post with the new information

Comment

I've edited to add the maiden name for you.

Comment

Thank you Jill!

Comment

UH OH...Was Great Uncle Godfrey a Rum Smuggler?

The reason this part of my family interests me so much (besides John S being my Great Grandfather, and Georg being great Grandfather x2) is the 3 brothers started a Cigar Business in Faribault after they immigrated... then purchased a Bottling business where they were the first bottlers and distributors of Miller Beer in Minnesota. They started the bottling business in 1900 and happily bottled beer until 1920 when prohibition hit. They switched over to Soda at that point and did that until prohibition ended.

So now to the rum smuggling... I was doing some obituary searches and a link that I followed led me not to an obituary, but a GeneaologyBank page. Of course like all these subscription sites they try and get you to sign up,
                      but I was able to see this that immediately caught my eye with his name. I have no idea in what capacity he was involved if at all...but curiosity gets the best of me... and I won't hold it against Godfrey..I love rum

liquor_smuggling_Godfrey.JPG

1) If someone happens to have a subsciption to GenealologyBank .... could you maybe check it out?

2) I often see probate data bases posted on FamilySearch, but have any of you tried to seek criminal records from long ago (early 1900's). If so, where should I start looking?

Comment

The correct spelling for this town in Bavaria is "Mömbris" Should one not have a typewriter with an Umlaut (i.e. two dots over the letters a. o and ü) then the Umlaut is substituted by the letter e. For example:- Mömbris or Moembris.

The town of Mömbris is situated some 10 Kilometres due North of the City of Aschaffenburg in Bavaria (Bayern).

If you need a map copy- showing the exact location of Mömbris - just PM me.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by EquilibriumYaw View Post
                          The correct spelling for this town in Bavaria is "Mömbris" Should one not have a typewriter with an Umlaut (i.e. two dots over the letters a. o and ü) then the Umlaut is substituted by the letter e. For example:- Mömbris or Moembris.

The town of Mömbris is situated some 10 Kilometres due North of the City of Aschaffenburg in Bavaria (Bayern).

If you need a map copy- showing the exact location of Mömbris - just PM me.

Brian
                          I found it easy enough on googlemaps just by typing in the word Mombris.
                          Margaret

Comment

Working...
                          X