Which Website?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Website?

If I were to subscribe to one of the common known online family history search sites, which will be most useful for the research into names for a new war memorial?

I have subscribed to the British Newspaper Archive, which is proving very interesting.

Many thanks

Stu

Both Ancestry and FMP have BMD records and all available censuses. FMP also has the 1939 Register (but it doesn't include serving members of the armed forces). Both also have some electoral rolls, both have some parish records for different counties, and both have some military records.

The FMP sub includes the same newspapers (I think) as the British Newspaper Archive, but the BNA search facility is better.

Both sites allow you to take out a free 14-day trial membership; you have to give your credit card details, but provided you cancel the trial before the 14 days are up, they don't take the subscription fee from your credit card.

You may also be able to get free access to one or both sites at your local library, if you're in the UK.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 13-03-17, 17:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
      Both Ancestry and FMP have BMD records and all available censuses. FMP also has the 1939 Register (but it doesn't include serving members of the armed forces). Both also have some electoral rolls, both have some parish records for different counties, and both have some military records.

The FMP sub includes the same newspapers (I think) as the British Newspaper Archive, but the BNA search facility is better.

Both sites allow you to take out a free 14-day trial membership; you have to give your credit card details, but provided you cancel the trial before the 14 days are up, they don't take the subscription fee from your credit card.

You may also be able to get free access to one or both sites at your local library, if you're in the UK.

Thank you Mary.

Comment

I have no idea Stu! and I would think that if names are on a 'new' memorial then they might not be indexed yet on any site. probably newspapers/CWWG might be a better bet.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
        X