LDS to discontinue film ordering ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS to discontinue film ordering ..

FamilySearch plan to discontinue film ordering because of expense and microfilm collection which was available at TNA is to be moved to Society of Genealogist.

Elaine

Ah, what a shame. I am so grateful to the LDS film ordering facility which I have used extensively for many years, and my research h would not have progressed one hundredth without this facility.

OC

Comment

Well I suppose with digitisation of records coming along apace and now the norm the microfiche method of viewing records is now outdated. FamilySearch do mention the lack of availability of film to use for copying.

Margaret

Comment

No!

It's the only way I've managed to make progress with my tree, because not everything's online, and I don't get to England more than once a year,

I have a couple of films to order; I hope they'll take the order.

Comment

I spent hundreds of hours browsing entire films including the opening pages of registers and the back pages too which often yielded information you never get anywhere else, such as pew ownership, Sunday school membership, confirmation ceremonies and even excommunication!

OC

Comment

I am pleased that the actual films are being moved from Kew to the SoG. <selfish face>

When I am at Kew I always run out of time and as looking at the LDS films are always at the end of the list they are inevitably never viewed.
            I am a member of the SoG and it means I have a better chance of actually looking at them as I usually have less to do at the Library when I am there for the day.

I do think the removal of the ordering service is sad. I used it a lot when I started research many moons ago and must be a big blow for those, like Mary, who are overseas.......I am still in mourning over the loss of the free copying service.

Chris
            Avatar....My darling mum, Irene June Robinson nee Pearson 1931-2019.

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.

Comment

The film service is being forced on the LDS as it is getting harder and more expensive to purchase film stock to create the copies. That is one of the reasons why the LDS some years ago decided to concentrate on digitising their entire microfilm collection.

Where possible any order for microfilm will be completed via a digital copy of the film being made available, but as with all thing time and money will play their part meaning there may be a delay before a digital copy is available.
              That was announced about a year or perhaps two ago.

Perhaps I should also point out at this time that we should remember that every service offered by the LDS comes at a cost, in some cases patrons are asked to make a contribution (such as postal charges when ordering films) but in most cases the costs are carried by the members of the LDS Church who pay tithes to fund all these "free" services.
              The LDS members will not ask for donations but we as beneficiaries of their generosity should perhaps consider giving donations when we use the services or visit their family history centers.

Cheers
              Guy
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Guy

There was always a small cost involved when ordering films, to cover the cost of postage. I usually rounded up the cost and gave a donation occasionally. I am sure other people did too - but I also know other people didn't! At one time my local fh centre asked that people didn't photograph entries. They would supply a photocopy for 5p. Several times I saw people surreptitiously using their cameras, presumably to avoid the 5p charge.

OC

Comment

Yes that's what I said
                  "in some cases patrons are asked to make a contribution (such as postal charges when ordering films) but in most cases the costs are carried by the members of the LDS Church"

Cheers
                  Guy
                  Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

The cost of ordering films went up quite a lot a year or two ago; it depends on whether you want to have the film available for 3 months or permanently.

I've just checked, and the prices are:

Short-term Microfilm Loan: £4.79

Extended Microfilm Loan: £11.96

I could have sworn it was quite a bit more than that last time I ordered.

Comment

Elaine - your link didn't work for me just now?

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
                        Elaine - your link didn't work for me just now?
                        I think it has either been taken down or moved.
                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                        X