Wriggly children?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wriggly children?

I thought that it must have been a mistranscription - Elver Daniel Fishlock born 1882, Gloucestershire - appears as Daniel in census (as far as I can see). Then I find Elver George Fishlock born 1908 Glouc. different MMN and husband isn't Daniel.

Was Elver an accepted name? -there doesn't appear to be a marriage of the two surnames - but I've only had a 'daddy look'.

SS

Elver was an accepted name particularly in the Fishlock dynasty which seems to have had one in most generations, going back at least as far as Thomas b1789. Because of the unusual name it looks a relatively easy family to research. You have also been lucky with the ladies with names Grundy, Doody, Cambourne and Billett.
    Last edited by webwiz; 08-03-17, 22:15.
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Seems to crop up once or twice every quarter or so on Freebmd, mostly in the Chipping Sodbury area.

My guess is that it is a family surname from way back in that family and spread through marriage. There are quite a few females named Elvera. A more common spelling would be Elvira for a female.

Or it might be play on the surname Fishlock. Fishlock the elver!

OC

Comment

Thanks both. I wonder of they were called 'small fry'?
        Little Dan is a third cousin 1R - 'is mam it is who is my rellie. Oh those devilish Devoners went as long way!
        Cheers
        SS

Comment

Working...
        X