Unable to read name of person who interred at burial in 1955

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to read name of person who interred at burial in 1955

I have tried to read the name of one of the people who interred at funerals that took place at Manchester's Cheetham Hill Wesleyan cemetery in 1955.

I cannot read if the surname says 'Gifford' 'Alford' or whether the initials are 'W' 'S' or whatever!!

Any ideas please .......

Thank you
    Giddysue

If you post the link to the image or the image itself perhaps we could have a look and see if anyone here can decipher it ?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
      If you post the link to the image or the image itself perhaps we could have a look and see if anyone here can decipher it ?
      I'd love to do this but unfortunately don't know how, will have to wait until one of my 'grown-up children' pops in to give me guidance!!!!!! Oh dear the problems of being 'old' .....

Thanks for advice though

Giddysue

Comment

Create an account for free with Findmypast to discover your family history and build a family tree. Search birth records, census data, death records and more.

I assume the above is the page you were looking at. My link should be viewable to people with a Find My Past subscription. First Initial is definitely W. I think I agree his surname was Gifford. Perhapsit might be worth looking for a listing of methodist ministers if such a thing exists.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Edited to remove a stupid posting!

OC
          Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 07-03-17, 14:20.

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
            http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...hlights=%22%22

I assume the above is the page you were looking at. My link should be viewable to people with a Find My Past subscription. First Initial is definitely W. I think I agree his surname was Gifford. Perhapsit might be worth looking for a listing of methodist ministers if such a thing exists.
            I agree that it's W S Gifford - backed up by this newspaper snip in 1950:
            The wedding took place at Zion Methodist Church, Oldham, with the Rev. W. S. Gifford as the officiating minister.

However, he doesn't figure on the index of Methodist ministers here:

Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Many thanks everyone for your help and advice.

There is another Ministerial entry for the same year (grave no. 4604 in March 1955) which I cannot decipher - the Minister officiating at the burial looks like 'Norman ? Wright' (maybe Weight or something similar).

I have checked on the Methodist ministers list as quoted by Christine but cannot find either name - perhaps I'm miss-reading the surname ..

All your assistance is much appreciated
              Giddysue

Comment

Originally posted by Giddysue View Post
                Many thanks everyone for your help and advice.

There is another Ministerial entry for the same year (grave no. 4604 in March 1955) which I cannot decipher - the Minister officiating at the burial looks like 'Norman ? Wright' (maybe Weight or something similar).

I have checked on the Methodist ministers list as quoted by Christine but cannot find either name - perhaps I'm miss-reading the surname ..

All your assistance is much appreciated
                Giddysue
                It's a bit tricky, but looking at the same signature on previous pages, I think it may be Weight.
                Re the Methodist minister index - it only covers those who died in the ministry up to 1968, which is probably why neither of them feature.
                Are you just doing this for transcription purposes, or are you researching the various ministers? If the latter, I picked up various bit and pieces re W S Gifford, if you're interested...
                Christine
                Last edited by Karamazov; 07-03-17, 22:55.
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hi Christine,

Thanks again for your advice.

I have been helping a friend who is compiling his entire family history and has been pedantic about ensuring all his facts are correct.

He is very appreciative of all the support and guidance he has received from you and Family Tree Forum as a whole.

Many thanks with kindest regards
                  Giddysue

Comment

Working...
                  X