Finding a daughter with only the name of a Father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a daughter with only the name of a Father

Hello. Hope you are all doing well. I am very new to this type of research and I am having a difficult time getting started. I am reaching out for some guidance.

I am trying to find the daughter of a man named Alfred who was born in Montreal, QC Canada and died from a heart attack in Port Alice, British Columbia. Alfred had a daughter while living in British Columbia. I know a good amount more about Alfred but I know nothing about his daughter except that she was born between 1965-1975.

I recently located Alfred's death certificate hoping that there would be a reference to his daughter and/or the mother of the daughter but unfortunately the death certificate only referenced his ex-wife in Montreal.

I really feel like I am at a dead end here. I do not know if Alfred had a relationship with his daughter or with the mother of the daughter. I do now know if the daughter shares/shared Alfred's last name. Regardless of their relationship, I assume Alfred's name would appear on the daughters birth certificate. Is there a way to search birth certificates by father's name?

If anyone has any suggestions just a general direction I should aim my efforts in I would sincerely apprecaite it.

Thank-you,

Chris

I would say canada has a 100 yr privacy rule on birth certificates. This woman in question might even be married, so more difficult to locate. If you know where she may have lived, you could see if electoral registers are available.

Failing that, does alfred have any relatives you can trace to ask about him or his descendants?

Comment

kylejustin thank-you for replying. Yes this makes sense that there is a privacy rule on Birth Certificates. And you are right for sure she could be married. Unfortunately, I have no idea where she lives and I can't even narrow down where she was born other then 'British Columbia'.

I know Alfreds first wife and their three children. Unfortunately, they know nothing more then what I included in my original post.

Comment

Originally posted by white_chev View Post
        Hello. Hope you are all doing well. I am very new to this type of research and I am having a difficult time getting started. I am reaching out for some guidance.

I am trying to find the daughter of a man named Alfred who was born in Montreal, QC Canada and died from a heart attack in Port Alice, British Columbia. Alfred had a daughter while living in British Columbia. I know a good amount more about Alfred but I know nothing about his daughter except that she was born between 1965-1975.

I recently located Alfred's death certificate hoping that there would be a reference to his daughter and/or the mother of the daughter but unfortunately the death certificate only referenced his ex-wife in Montreal.

I really feel like I am at a dead end here. I do not know if Alfred had a relationship with his daughter or with the mother of the daughter. I do now know if the daughter shares/shared Alfred's last name. Regardless of their relationship, I assume Alfred's name would appear on the daughters birth certificate. Is there a way to search birth certificates by father's name?

If anyone has any suggestions just a general direction I should aim my efforts in I would sincerely apprecaite it.

Thank-you,

Chris
        Not necessarily. Were the parents married to each other at the time of the birth or at some time afterwards? I got the impression from your post that they were not.
        I'm unsure of the regulations for Canada, but in the UK, if the parents were not married to each other, both would have had to be willing and present with the registrar in order for the father's name to be entered on the registration document. There would have been nothing to prevent a mother registering the birth alone, declaring that she was unmarried, or that her husband was not the father of the child, in which case the name of father column would have been left empty.

Was the daughter ever made aware of the identity of her father? Did Alfred leave a will? If so, was there any reference to/bequest made to a daughter??? Or, if she was still a minor, any financial arrangements made via the mother? Had Alfred had to make any maintenance arrangements for the child's upkeep?

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

As a very very long shot, you could put details of the father on the various finding sites, stating that you wish contact with his unknown daughter. That way you may stand a chance if the daughter searches for her father, if she knows who he was.

OC

Comment

Janet in Yorkshire thank-you for replying. This may be a lost cause. I have spoken to the man's wife and his daughter and two songs and they really have nothing to ad except they know the daughter was born and that she was born in Vancouver. They have no names, no nothing.

Olde Crone Holden I have posted ads on some finding sites. We will see what happens! Thanks for your reply.

Comment

Working...
            X