Dead end in Poland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dead end in Poland

I have been researching my family tree for some time now, and have had limited success but only within the USA. Once I get to records in Poland I find myself with road block after road block. 1) I don't know the language. 2) I do not know any reliable sources of records in Poland and 3) The last name spelling as varied a little just since early 1900's.

Does anyone have any experience researching Polish records and have any good sources that I can start with??

We've got some links on our Poland page. Maybe these will help?

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have german ancestors from modern poland. I have a genealogist in berlin doing the research for me. It can be expensive, but i feel it is so worth it. Not much is online regarding polish research, and the records will likely be in russian, german or polish, depending which province and time period your family came from.

Comment

Hello James,

here are a few Polish addresses where records are kept:

a. Archivum Panstwowe, Ulica Pomorska, 50-215 Wroclaw, Poland

b. Standesamt Breslau, Ulica Wlodkowica 22, 50-215 Wroclaw

c. Urzad Stanu Cywilwilnego (USC) Olawa, Dynek 25, 55-200 Olawa, Poland

I am English but resident in Germany and have actually visited all three a/m addresses, whilst doing research for my wife`s ancestors. Although it was some 10 years ago, the Staff that I came in contact with, during my visit, were extremely friendly and helpful and the majority spoke English and German. I was researching ancestors from Schlesien (Silesia),
        Not sure where your ancestors came from in Poland - if they came from Schlesien, then the addresses are the one`s you want. Write to them with as much detail as possible - it will cost you the price of a few stamp(s). Finally, should they find anything for you - they may ask for a small payment.

I suggest that you send your letter to all three addresses - it may be duplication - I call it, belt and braces !

If you have any questions, just send me a PM.

Good Luck with your research.

Brian

(Equilibrium Yaw)

Comment

Working...
        X