Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandfathers & G.G tree wont grow!

Once again I am asking for your help.

Grandfathers name: Samuel Strachan /Birth Date abt 1878/Marriage 31 Dec 1902/ Spouse Elizabeth Dinning/Marriage Place/West Herrington, Durham, England Father: Thomas Strachan

I have Samuel on the 1911 & 1901 census as Samuel Strachan, but on the 1881& 1891 census I can only find a Samuel Strain with siblings & parents that closely match him but I am not 100% sure if this is him and if it is him, then I still have a brick wall as I cannot get any further back on his father's line as Thomas Strain before 1881.

(Samuel b:15/11/1879) (Thomas b:1847)

My D.N.A. test says I am 48% Irish! .....your thoughts and leads are much appreciated.

If it was an Ancestry DNA test, be aware that they do not recognise Scotland in their testing. You are almost certainly Scottish, originally from Ireland, that is many centuries ago.

I would think the family you have found as Strain is the right one. Strachan is pronounced Strawn or Strain in my experience.

OC

Comment

Hi there
      I found a birth record March 1879, South Shields, Durham, childs name Samuel Fowler Strachan, there is a marriage March 1873 Auckland Durham, Margaret Strachan to Samuel Fowler
      as you say no record found for Samuel Strachan in 1881 census.

Now I thought what if the name had been written down wrong or as they do start at the back, so Samuel Fowler Strachan becomes Samuel Strachan Fowler, if you follow my drift, in the 1881 Census, there is a Samuel fowler of the right age and he is down as a Grandchild living with a family of Strachans, this I think is your man, need any other info just ask.

Robert

Comment

The Strachan family in 1901 and 1911 are almost certainly the same as the Strain family in 1871, 1881, 1891. All in Houghton.

The children appear to be all registered as Strain. Checked Samuel 1879 Dec mmn=Morrison

Comment

I assume you mean this family in 1881? - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...off=&ml_rpos=1

That Samuel appears to have been born Samuel Strain in Houghton Dec 1879 with mmn as Morrison. There is a Thomas Strane marriage in Sept 1867 to a Margaret Morrison.

Snap Cliff:D
          Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 04-03-17, 11:32.
          Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I have a copy of Samuel Fowler birth certificate. Born 14/1/1879 no name or occupation given for father, mother is June Strachan living in South Shields. I didn't think this was my Grandfather so I pursued the Strain line as it seemed to fit better but didn't get very far.

My Grandfather married Elizabeth Dinning in 1902

Comment

It might be worth sending for the Samuel Strain birth then SS to see if the father's name and occupation match the Samuel Strachan marriage cert.

Comment

Olde Crone Holden It was an Ancestry DNA test, and I wasn't aware that they do not recognise Scotland in their testing, I was always told I had Scottish ancestors.

Cliff & Chrissie
                I tend to agree that this is my line. Samuel appears to have been born Samuel Strain in Houghton Dec 1879 with mmn as Morrison and Thomas Strane
                as his father (too many name changes and more to come) Thomas his father was born in Scotland in Lanarkshire and his father was David.
                Now go wobbly!!

David Strain aged 40 is in the 1851 Scotland Census m: Margaret ? born in Minygoff, Wigton (I think this should be Minnigaff-Wigtown)
                Davids occupation is Collier
                trying to go further back I can only find
                David Storin aged 30 is in the 1841 Scotland Census m: Magt ? both born in Ireland and Margaret's age is 7yrs different.
                Davids occupation is Iron Miner
                I have still to find the marriage for Margaret? and David Storin/Strane/Strain !!!!

Comment

with regard to spelling variations ~
                  I have a Thomas Straughan, who married into one of my Northumbrian Irish families - Thomas's parents married in the Easington area of County Durham in 1841.
                  Thomas, born Northumberland 1856, was illiterate and his surname was recorded in various forms ~ Straughan/Straghan/Strachan/Stracken/Straffen/Straffle. He, his wife and his children went to Cleveland Ohio, where one of the records re his death named him as Straffere.
                  I'm still struggling to find the death of his wife Eleanor in the Ohio records; tracking this surname has been a nightmare! Good luck.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Silver Surfer View Post
                    My D.N.A. test says I am 48% Irish! .....your thoughts and leads are much appreciated.
                    IMO - All "ethnicity" tests need to be taken with a grain of salt - or better yet, several grains. They're good at giving an overall picture, but you haven't inherited 100% of all of your ancestors' DNA, so even if they knew the origin of all the unique genes in the world, you wouldn't have the complete picture of all the ones that your ancestors once had but didn't get passed down to you.

However - I'd recommend uploading your AncestryDNA results to gedmatch.com (free) and familytreeDNA.com (free to upload and see your complete match list, US$19 to see their ethnicity report and use the "Chromosome Browser"). They would both give you opportunities to find additional matches from other testing companies, and see more detail about them than AncestryDNA provides.

And gedmatch has several different ethnicity reports.

I think in the genetic genealogy community, 23andme is considered to have very good (if not best) ethnicity reports. You must actually test there (not just transfer results to them).
                    Last edited by PhotoFamily; 04-03-17, 15:38.

Comment

Re the ethnicity thing:

Both my maternal grandparents are without doubt Scottish and I have traced full lines back to about 1650, further back in one or two cases and they are all in Scotland. Their DEEP ancestry may well be Irish, but if I had not known that my mother's family were Scottish, living in Scotland for at least 300 years, I would be looking pointlessly in Ireland for a link which simply won't be in any records. And no, no question of a non paternity event! It would have to be both my grandparents involved in some diabolical conspiracy to secretly adopt eight Irish children!

OC

Comment

The Strain family in 1871 (RG 10/4986/27/10) have an elder son James who does not appear later. There is a birth registered for James Stran at Tynemouth on 1868 Sept, mmn=Morrison. The is a death of James Strain at Houghton 1871 Dec aged 3.

Comment

There is a marriage registered at East Rainton, Houghton on 31 Dec 1867, between Thomas Strane (father = David Strane) and Margaret Morrison (Father = William Morrison).

Comment

Hi Cliff Yes, I have this pencilled in as my possible family and from the marriage of Thomas and Margaret I have the following children all taking the surname spelt (Strain) and so far my research has found that 3 of them married as Strachan.
                            James 1868–1871/Robert William 1870–1933/Elizabeth 1872/Thomas 1874/James Morrison 1877/Samuel 1879–1957/Maggie 1883–1950/John 1885

It is the link between Thomas Strane/Strain & his father David Strane/Strain etc that I don't seem to get any further with.

Comment

I noticed that the first two boys were baptised under Strane/Strain and then also under Strachan. That appear to be the point of the name change.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                I noticed that the first two boys were baptised under Strane/Strain and then also under Strachan. That appear to be the point of the name change.
                                Not a name change per se, just how the name is pronounced.

Comment

Well SS, you do have a difficult one here. It seems that all you have to go back on is a Thomas born about 1848 (according to census) with a father David (according to marriage Thomas/Margaret) and a surname of Strain/Strane. My thoughts are that Strachan is an interpretation after 1890.

As you have said there appears to be a Strain family in 1861, 1851, 1841 around Monkton which has very close resemblance, give or take a few years. Remembering that for 1841 census ages over 15 were supposedly rounded down to nearest 5. The 1841 shows origin of Ireland- not surprising as of about 14 'Strain" born 1813 +-5 only about 3 are not from Ireland!

Have you traced decendants of Samuel's siblings to see what they may know ?

Comment

Yes Cliff, it has been difficult and I was hoping for a miracle! 3 of Samuel descendants have been found but sadly all paperwork and photos have been binned and memories are very sketchy due to their ages.

I would love to know which area in Ireland my 'possible' ancestors came from, so I could do more research. I have looked at all the children of Thomas & David's line spanning 50 years and the name Strachan/Strain has changed so far to Strane-Storin-Straughen-Strachen-Stranahan-Strachane.

I will keep on researching this line as it is an important part of my ancestry.

Thank-you to everyone that has contributed to my post, any more ideas are welcome. Sue

Comment

Working...
                                    X