Canada 1921 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada 1921 census

Hello, if anyone is an Ancestry subscriber could you please get some info for me re finding Harry Blight in the Canada 1921 census.
    Harry was born in England 1888/9 and then emigrated to Canada in 1911. In the 1911 Canada census he was listed as a lodger, age 22, living in Montreal, Quebec.
    I would like to find him in 1921 to see his marital status, perhaps a wife and children etc.
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Regards.
    Toby.

Originally posted by toby blight View Post
    Hello, if anyone is an Ancestry subscriber could you please get some info for me re finding Harry Blight in the Canada 1921 census.
    Harry was born in England 1888/9 and then emigrated to Canada in 1911. In the 1911 Canada census he was listed as a lodger, age 22, living in Montreal, Quebec.
    I would like to find him in 1921 to see his marital status, perhaps a wife and children etc.
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    Regards.
    Toby.
    You don't need an active ancestry sub to search the 1921 Canada census and view the images - follow this link:
    ancestry, ancestry ca, 1921, 1921 census, 1921 Canada census, 1921 Canadian census, index, name index, census image, 1921 census image

Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 03-03-17, 00:10.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

might this be him ?
      Henry Blight
      Marital Status: Married
      Birth Year: abt 1890
      Birth Place: England
      Relation to Head of House: Head
      Spouse's Name: Jean Blight
      Father Birth Place: England
      Mother Birth Place: England
      Year of Immigration: 1913
      Racial or Tribal Origin: English
      Province or Territory: Ontario
      District: York West
      District Number: 145
      Sub-district: New Toronto (Village, part)
      Sub-District Number: 81
      City, Town or Village: New Toronto
      Street or Township: 119 Eighth St
      Municipality: New Toronto
      Income: 1400
      Jean Blight 31
      Irene Blight 3/12
      Reference Number: RG 31; Folder Number: 103; Census Place: New Toronto (Village, part), York West, Ontario; Page Number: 34

Comment

Thanks for the info Val but he was only known as Harry, not Henry and he emigrated to Canada in 1911, not 1913 as per Henry.
        Cheers.
        Toby

Comment

Thanks Christine.
          Cheers.
          Toby

Comment

Hello Val, I could not find Harry Blight in the 1921 Canada census, perhaps he returned to England? I looked at the UK Incoming Passenger lists, there is a Mr H. Blight(second name down) which may be a possibility, I am guessing that you subscribe to Ancestry, if so you will be able to access the details, would you please have a look for me? Harry born about 1888.
            Many thanks.
            Toby.

Comment

thats this one so not him
              Mr H Blight
              Birth Date: abt 1884
              Port of Departure: Brisbane, Australia
              Arrival Date: 3 Mar 1911
              Port of Arrival: London, England
              Ports of Voyage: Cape Town
              Ship Name: Miltiades
              Search Ship Database: Search for the Miltiades in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
              Shipping line: Aberdeen and Commonwealth Line
              Official Number: 118179

that one I found could be him as Henry is actually another name for Harry

Comment

wonder if this may be him ? suppose he could have gone from Canada to America

Comment

Bother, proving to be difficult. Dont think that the american guy is him, him and parents born in W.S. wherever that is. I found a Harry on CWGC from a Canadian regiment, killed in France WW1 but not him. Will have another look at Henry as you suggest.
                  Thanks a lot for your help Val.
                  Cheers.
                  Toby.

Comment

what were his parents names?

Comment

Hello Toby

Not sure which Harry your referring to. There is only one Harry b 1887 Redruth (he has a brother George b 1885). They are possibly together in Calgary in 1911 Labourers . There is the Harry in Quebec 1911 who was a Bell Boy. He could be the Henry b 1889 Truro. Then there is the Henry the Miner from Cape Town who returned.

I think I see the Harry b 1887 in 1921 with a relative.

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                        I think I see the Harry b 1887 in 1921 with a relative.

Vera
                        Ignore that. It was the 1916 Census
                        That "harry" was a Butcher who travelled out in 1912

Vera

Comment

I think that Harry was "adopted" by Samuel and Sarah, they had two sons who died in infancy. No record of Harry in the 1891 census with Sam and Sarah, he would have been about 3 years old.In the 1901 census in Blackpool Harry is 14 and recorded as "son" born Shropshire, Sam and Sarah were never in Shropshire. Impossible to find what his birth surname was.In 1901 census Sarah was running a boarding house, somehow Harry ended up living there. Adoption in England only started in 1927 so Harry could not have been legally adopted, Sam and Sarah would have just given him the Blight name, we will never know how this all came about!
                          Cheers.
                          Toby.

Comment

So the 1901 Harry in Blackpool, Bell boy son of Sarah is the same as the 1911 Harry in 1911 Canada, Bell boy.

I suppose he could have arrived before 1911.

Will take another look

Vera

Comment

Thanks Vera, my records show a Harry departing Southampton 3/9/1910 on S.S.PAUL destination New York. I assumed that this was the Blackpool Harry seeing that he was not on the 1911 UK Census, of course I may be wrong. Harrys job in 1901 census was not clear, I guessed it as bath boy, perhaps he filled the bath for the lodgers! As you say he was a bell boy in 1921.
                              Toby

Comment

Could be bath boy but think it's bell.

Can only see a Howard Blight sailing on the 03/09/1910 Born Devon and going to brother.

I wonder if Harry came with the McLeods who he lodged with in 1911.

Vera

Comment

I found Harry on the s.s. Paul many years ago, cannot remember which site, looked at ISTG today and cannot find him, will have to do more searching. Checked the 1920 and 1930 U.S. Census, there is a Harry S. Blight dont think that this is him so no point in buying credits with F.M.P. Dont think that I will find him after the Canadian 1921 census, could try Canadian death records but dont know if these are available online.
                                  Cannot find Mcleod on F.M.P passenger lists, they would have got there before Harry because their daughter was born in Quebec about 1908 and I am guessing that Harry got there in 1910/11 but of course may be earlier, will have to start searching ships again!
                                  Toby.

Comment

just wondered why do you think he was adopted??

Comment

Hi Val, see my letter above to Vera re my thoughts on "adoption"
                                      Toby

Comment

yes I read that but does it actually say adopted??

Comment

Working...
                                        X