A little marital problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little marital problem

Could any kind person see if they can spot this marriage in the parish registers for me. I am sure that I have seen the Pr's for Kensington, London but can I find them.. noooo

Name: Eliza Burch
    Registration Year: 1873
    Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
    Registration district: Kensington
    Inferred County: London
    Volume: 1a
    Page: 379

spouse "should be" John Fowlden [but I have a hunch it is FOULDS]

I have them married in later census but can't find a suitable marriage near where they live.

am still hunting so will be in and out..

thanks you.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

I can't see a pr image on FMP on a quick search but the spouse there from the GRO index is John FOWLDES according to the transcript.
    The image of the list itself says the same but the last letter is very poor quality and could easily be mistaken for an N. I enlarged it as far as I could on the phone and can see enough of the shape to convince me it is an S.
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-02-17, 12:05.

Comment

ancestry's image is a bit better and although they have transcribed FOWLDEN it clearly is FOWLDES.

I can't see Kensington PRs on either site. I wonder if it is on familysearch.org as they have some images now or perhaps you had a trial sub at The Genealogist as they have a lot of PRs
      Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-02-17, 12:29.

Comment

ahh so it's not just me then..lol.

it might be that they married in a reg office though not sure why as he was widowed and she wasn't married. a bit of a way to come from Nottinghamshire to find a wife! will have a look on FS now.

thanks GL [sounds SO informal]
        Julie

Comment

oh blow! they haven't got it either :( they must have married in a reg office. [and as it is only a marriage from the Foulds line that I am building a tree for then not a "need" cert]

it certainly does fit with other info I have though.
          Julie

Comment

and marriage locator can't spot it either. ho hum. :(
            Julie

Comment

Kensington Registration District would cover quite a number of parishes by 1873, most of which should be in the LMA records on Ancestry but the PRs for St Mary Abbots (Kensington Parish Church) from the mid C19th onwards are still held by the parish I believe - http://www.smaw8.org/contacts.html
              Last edited by AntonyM; 28-02-17, 12:50.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Thank you Antony, I don't suppose that there is way to tell if it was a Registry Office marriage is there? but I will have a look on Ancestry again and see if I can spot anything.
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 28-02-17, 13:30.
                Julie

Comment

Just to muddy the waters a bit, there are plenty churces to choose from. This is from a transcription of Kensington from the National Gazetteer 1868, just five years before the marriage so relevant time-wise.

"The mother church of St. Mary, or St. Mary Abbot, formerly belonged to Abingdon Abbey. It contains tombs of the Riches, Dr. Jortin, Goodall, the physician, the Countess of Warwick, wife of the poet Addison, Dean Hodges, Lord Molesworth, the Ponsonbys, and George, son of the statesman Canning, with some lines by him as an epitaph on his son. In addition to the parish church, there are ten district churches-St. Barnabas, Addison-road; St. Philip's, Earl's Court; St. John's, Notting-hill; St. Peter's, Notting-hill; All Saints', Notting-hill; St. James's, Norland; St. Andrew's, Norland; Holy Trinity, Brompton; St. Mary's, West Brompton; and St. Paul's, Onslow-square, the livings of all which are perpetual curacies, varying in value from £300 to £639. There is also a chapel-of-ease at Brompton, and places of worship belonging to the Roman Catholics and several of the denominations of Protestant Dissenters."

Comment

Did they by any chance move to Nottinghamshire? I went looking for children to the marriage to see if we could figure out where in Kensington from 1881 census and for the year of marriage plus 7 I only found one male child. With a name like that, it must surely be them?

FOULDES, BURCH BURCH
                    GRO Reference: 1874 M Quarter in SOUTHWELL NOTTS Volume 07B Page 353
                    Last edited by GallowayLass; 28-02-17, 14:08.

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                      Did they by any chance move to Nottinghamshire? I went looking for children to the marriage to see if we could figure out where in Kensington from 1881 census and for the year of marriage plus 7 I ont found one male child. With a name like that, it must surely be them?

FOULDES, BURCH BURCH
                      GRO Reference: 1874 M Quarter in SOUTHWELL NOTTS Volume 07B Page 353
                      yes they did, Oxton near Southwell.. only had the one child [but he had others from his first marriage] am trawling the registers now, in between phoning vets
                      Julie

Comment

have just trawled the complete churches on Ancestry for the year of 1873 nada, zilch, nowt. was worth a shot though!
                        Julie

Comment

According to the GoONS Marriage Locator "The entry is located between entries for Paddington Holy Trinity (RD: Kensington) and Chelsea Christ Church (RD: Chelsea)". Since you have "Kensington" as the District, it seems likely to be Paddington Holy Trinity that you're looking for.

But trying to prise it out of Ancestry - could it have been a Register Office wedding at that point?

C
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-03-17, 21:29.
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks Christine, I think that it is going to be too.
                            Julie

Comment

Working...
                            X