family appear twice in US CENSUS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• family appear twice in US CENSUS?

The two record above are for the 1940 US census. The family appear twice for some reason, living in shelby TN and then louisiana. All the names are correct on both records, I'm just at a loss as to why they would appear twice.

The first record, ira claire jones is the respondent so I'm inclined to believe that record as the truth of where they were in 1940.

Can anyone shed some light as to why the family would be listed twice?

Many thanks

From fmp:

City/township Memphis
    County Shelby
    State Tennessee
    Previous residence date 1935
    Previous residence city Same Place
    Previous residence county -

City/township Darnell, Pioneer
    County West Carroll
    State Louisiana
    Previous residence city Rural
    Previous residence county Shelby
    It looks like they have just moved (well, since 1935) from Shelby to West Carroll.
    Are there any other family living close by that might have filled in that form?
    I would say the Louisiana one would be the correct one. Most odd.

Edit:
    Notice that the Louisiana one has Ira b Alabama and Elizabeth b Mississippi whereas the Tennessee one has them the other way round. Do you know for certain where he was born?
    I can't follow your previous links as I don't have Ancestry so not sure what you have found yet..
    Last edited by Katarzyna; 28-02-17, 13:04.
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

The census was supposed to take place on 1st April 1940. Looking at the enumerators info at the top of the page, the census sheets for Shelby TN were done between 4 and 8 April, but the ones for Louisiana not until May 9th. Although the info was supposed to refer to the night of April 1, it is possible that your family moved to Louisiana between April and May and just completed the form when they arrived.
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
        From fmp:

City/township Memphis
        County Shelby
        State Tennessee
        Previous residence city Same Place
        Previous residence county -

City/township  Darnell, Pioneer
        County West Carroll
        State Louisiana
        Previous residence city Rural
        Previous residence county Shelby
        It looks like they have just moved (well, since 1935) from Shelby to West Carroll.
        Are there any other family living close by that might have filled in that form?
        I would say the Louisiana one would be the correct one. Most odd.

Edit:
        Notice that the Louisiana one has Ira b Alabama and Elizabeth b Mississippi whereas the Tennessee one has them the other way round. Do you know for certain where he was born?
        I can't follow your previous links as I don't have Ancestry so not sure what you have found yet..
        Ira's mother came from louisiana, and his father from alabama. Ira was born in Tennessee as well as his brother Edward.

Comment

They're living in TN in both the 1920 and 1930 census, and ira died in 1941 in memphis shelby tennesse, so unlikely that the family moved to louisiana, as ira died a year after the 140 census in TN.

Comment

I've seen persons enumerated twice in a single US census. I haven't seen confirmation, but I've heard that enumerators were paid by the number of persons they enumerated; if so they were motivated to count anyone that they found.

Did you notice on the second entry you gave that Ira C indicated he has another source of income? Maybe it was the other farm?

Land records probably exist for both areas. If he owned the land (not rented), you might be able to identify him with more certainty.
            Last edited by PhotoFamily; 28-02-17, 16:20.

Comment

Originally posted by PhotoFamily View Post
              I've seen persons enumerated twice in a single US census. I haven't seen confirmation, but I've heard that enumerators were paid by the number of persons they enumerated; if so they were motivated to count anyone that they found.

Did you notice on the second entry you gave that Ira C indicated he has another source of income? Maybe it was the other farm?

Land records probably exist for both areas. If he owned the land (not rented), you might be able to identify him with more certainty.
              Thank you will check the land records!

Comment

Working...
              X