Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you organise?

Hi

I am very lucky in that my nan was born in Jersey, and as such the records available now are fantastic and so my tree is growing. However as most of the surnames are repeats, just different branches im struggling to keep a track of who is related to who (especially as most also have the same first name!).

My thought was to create a sheet for each person showing where they appear and with whom, especially for where they are godparents as that often helps to narrow down which branch of the tree they are on or confirm they are actually a part of it!

How do others organise themselves?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

I do a family sheet for each couple, showing their parents at the top and a timeline for the children below. Each child then gets their own family sheet if they marry.

I use ahnentafel numbers to keep track of my direct ancestors.

OC

Comment

A software program is a good idea there are free ones about such as Roots Magic. That way people are automatically linked to their parents and siblings, there's also space for notes so you can add whatever you wish that will help you keep track.

Using software also allows you to quickly track backwards and forwards in ancestral/descendant lines. You can also produce charts that show family groups or ancestors/descendants etc.

I use Family Tree Maker (FTM) as I have a tree on Ancestry so I can search for records, add them to the person concerned and then synchronise it to FTM when I'm finished, that way I have my own database as well as the one online, which is in any event private.

Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 27-02-17, 16:01.

Comment

I have my tree on Ancestry so its good in that it tells me how someone is linked to me, i havent used FTM for a while though. I just thought it would be handy to have a paper file to flick through and see where people appear with regards to others' records
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Printing charts and profiles from your Ancestry tree would give you that. Much more scope for that on FTM though - all you need to do is download your tree into FTM from ancestry and look at the publish option.

Margaret

Comment

Like OC, I do family sheets too.

But I do it the old fashioned way - lined paper and black ink. Each person gets birth, marriage, death with date and location. Plus their occupation and name of their spouse.

I find I retain more information that way. If I have four generations of William Browns, then each gets a birth date in brackets after his name ie John Brown ( 1856).

bcbrit
            George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Bcbrit

I use red ink for direct ancestors and black ink for everyone else. Unconfirmed info is in pencil.

OC

Comment

I use the Family Historian program and occasionally print off the various reports. But also, especially when visiting Records Offices or just looking at where there are gaps in my information, I use a neat little collection of post card sized cards (sold by WHS as an aid to exam revision) with the sort of info bcbrit lists plus which censuses I have found them in. The cards WHS have on sale now are wire bound, the ones I bought a few years ago are linked by one big ring in top left corner which makes them a little easier to flip over.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Do you mean anything like these Judith? https://www.whsmith.co.uk/dept/stati...cards-12x00058 I use multi-coloured index cards in a file as a back up.
                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I've just remembered that we have a collection of record sheets in the Reference Library:

Accessed through the side menu: Reference Information and 'How to' Guides then Downloadable Research Forms
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                      Do you mean anything like these Judith? https://www.whsmith.co.uk/dept/stati...cards-12x00058 I use multi-coloured index cards in a file as a back up.
                      Yes that's them, though as I say mine are older and just joined in top left corner

I have several sets of these, one for each main branch of family
                      Last edited by JudithM; 28-02-17, 10:19.
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks all so much, that has given me a lot of ideas and im tempted to use a few together
                        Robyne

Comment

I honestly tend to draw up trees by hand with dates and places. Looks pretty, allows me to wrap my head around relationships, and see what i need to find out.

Comment

Working...
                          X