Thank You Google Street View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank You Google Street View

Isn't it nice when you can pull together info from different places & get a result!

I have an old photo of an aunt & her husband, probably from the late 1950's/early 1960's, taken outside their house in London. No-one left in the family knew the address (she didn't have children).

I found an address for them in the 1939 register, and I thought I'd check Google if it still exists.

I got an excellent street view of the house, still recognisably the same, as it has a distinctive patterned window over the front door. I love that its still there and doesn't seem to have changed much in over 50 years!

So not only have I got her address from 1939 (and a couple of surprises with her occupation, and the other people there!) but I've also identified the location of the last photo I have of her!
    Vicky

Oh how lovely Vicky I shall have to try that myself with a few of mine.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I often use googe maps and also google text for addresses just in case they still exist. have had some surprsing discoveries esp when the property has been up for sale and there is a photo of it as well. Its a great tool to use.
      Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
        I often use googe maps and also google text for addresses just in case they still exist. have had some surprsing discoveries esp when the property has been up for sale and there is a photo of it as well. Its a great tool to use.
        I remember a few years back googling my granny and granda's address. I have memories from visiting them there as a child, when we visited during the holidays.
        I was so fortunate to find the house up for sale with photos and floorplans etc., which I printed off.
        Of course the house had been completely renovated from my memories in the late 50's/early 60's when it was a council house but I still was thrilled to see it.
        I guess my google was just at the right time.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

The other site to look at is zoopla where you can find the price when last sold.

Margaret

Comment

Yes, I do that too.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Working...
            X