MOD Can reissue WW1 Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD Can reissue WW1 Medals

I have just seen this on another forum so thought it was worth posting here the article was originally posted by a guy called Malcolm in just passing the info on. If this is old news feel free to remove it.

I’ve just received my grandfather’s War & Victory WW1 medals reissued by the MOD. These are newly struck medals with my grandfather’s details impressed on the side.

I originally had thought this was not possible as everything I'd read told me so - MOD’s medal office website states “The MOD Medal Office is not able to provide replacement World War 1 medals”. Even their medal application form states “Please note: Medals awarded prior to the Second World War can no longer be issued”.

However, I was just about to purchase replica medals when I came across a post on the Great War Forum about having returned WW1 medals reissued. Although this possibility is not specifically mentioned on MOD documents/website, it seems there is an important distinction between the words “replace”, “issue” and “reissue”. The MOD does not “replace” or “issue” WW1 medals but it can “reissue” medals if it can be shown that WW1 medals were returned.

I had to complete an application form, show that I was next of kin and provide evidence that these medals were returned (his medal card did this). Then, it was a just a long wait (6 months) but well worth it in the end.

Malcolm
    My Family History Blog Site:

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

I'm curious why were the medals returned?

Comment

Val

Some service men or their widows, sent the medals back because they were unhappy about the way the government dealt with ex servicemen and their widows and families. Others sold or pawned their medals.

OC

Comment

Some weren't able to be delivered, and so were returned/not despatched, because the information held about next of kin was out of date (e.g. parents had moved, sister had married & had a new name, new address etc)

Jay
        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-02-17, 21:12.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

won't do anything for me ............ grandfather died in 1963, my aunt-by-marriage burnt grandfather's medals and all his papers after her husband (his son) died in 1992.
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
          X