Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jones family in MS United states

hi,

i'm researching a family in Mississippi US and i'm unable to find them on the 1900 or 1910 US census. I've hit a massive brick wall!!

Their details are as follows:

father Thomas Lee Jones born ? date ? Alabama (lists Alabama as place of birth on his son's death record)
    mother Susan Jones (shackelford) Born abt 1861 Louisiana
    children: Ira Claire Jones born in sunflower county MS 28th feb 1894, died 18th dec 1941(Memphis, Shelby TN)
    Edward B jones 9th born 9th april 1897 died 10th feb 1968 (Memphis Shelby TN)

Thomas Lee Jones and Susan C shackelford were married in Sunflower county MS in 25th march 1885

I cant find Thomas and Susan on the 1890 census either, or any death records for either of them.

i'm in the process of requesting Thomas and susans marriage record to see if that gives me more information, but in the meantime I thought I would post here to see if anyone has any advice on where I could look next? I've tried different spellings/initials etc, but alas they are nowhere to be seen.

Thank You :-)

I assume you have them on the 1910 and 1920 census then. If so can you download the transcriptions onto here or copy and paste them to here?
    Most of the 1890 census was destroyed by fire so unlikely to find them.

Edward was born 1897 in Memphis TN and both he and his sister died in Memphis. What reason do you have to believe they were in Mississippi in 1910/20?
    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by lollyblue1 View Post
      I cant find Thomas and Susan on the 1890 census
      LB - Welcome to FTF!
      Nearly all 1890 census records went up in smoke, so I doubt you can find them for your peeps.

And then there's this:
      "Mississippi law did not require keeping birth or death records until 1912"
      from here
      Guide to Sunflower County, Mississippi ancestry, genealogy and family history, birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, and military records.

They refer people to here for certificates:
      Search For Your Ancestors function getQuery(form) { var query = ""; if(form.gsfn.value) query = form.gsfn.value; if(form.gsln.value) { query = query + " " + form.gsln.value; } if(form.s_place.selectedIndex > 0) form.links.value = 1; else form.links.value = 0; return query; }

Hmm, not promising!
      Last edited by PhotoFamily; 25-02-17, 00:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
        I assume you have them on the 1910 and 1920 census then. If so can you download the transcriptions onto here or copy and paste them to here?
        Most of the 1890 census was destroyed by fire so unlikely to find them.

Edward was born 1897 in Memphis TN and both he and his sister died in Memphis. What reason do you have to believe they were in Mississippi in 1910/20?
        Sorry I meant 1920 and 1930
        Kat

Comment

Hi a thank you for your replies.

They could be living in TN in 1900, 1910, but I'm unable to find them there either! The 2 children, ira....I found on the 1920, 30 and 40 census, Edward on the 1940 census, as their married and with new families.

There is no trace of thomas or susan at all, from 1900 to 1940.

There is a record for susan and thomas marriage, and I'm in the process of ordering that.

How do I post Inscriptions?

Thank you ☺

Comment

Find the page you want to copy then highlight the url which is in the white strip box at the top of the page - right click on the blue highlight and copy it. Paste it into the thread reply box. We can the click on that to see the census.
            If you look at the top of this page you will see the url for this page which is:

Hope this helps.
            Kat

Comment

Susan Shackleford & Family in the 1880.

Off to see if I can find a Jones family living nearby

Comment

Someone on familysearch seems to have started a tree for Preston & Mary Ann (Susan's parents), but didn't list the later children (including Susan). I haven't looked on Ancestry for a family tree there:
                Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

The Jones families that I can find in the 1880 living in Sunflower Co all seem to be African American.
                Last edited by PhotoFamily; 25-02-17, 18:23.

Comment

I was looking at the same last night, couldn't find anything definite using just the boys names.
                  Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                  http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I really don't know if this is anything but mentioning this one as I am stuggling to find anything in between

1910 Beat 5, Washington, Mississippi

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Tom Jones Head M 22 Mississippi
                    Eddie Jones Brother M 16 Mississippi
                    Ira Jones Brother M 18 Mississippi

I came across it by chance and thought it might come back to bite me but father is from Texas

Edward burial

The World’s largest gravesite collection. Contribute, create and discover gravesites from all over the world. .

Ira

Name: Ira Clare Jones
                    [Ira Jones]
                    SSN: 408124394
                    Race: White
                    Birth Date: 28 Feb 1894
                    Birth Place: Columbus, Mississippi
                    Death Date: 18 Dec 1941
                    Father: Thomas Jones
                    Mother: Susie Shackelford
                    Citizenship or Alien Status: U.S. citizen.
                    Claim Date: 24 Jan 1947
                    Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                    http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I've been searching for Ira Clare as a female.
                      Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                        I really don't know if this is anything but mentioning this one as I am stuggling to find anything in between

1910 Beat 5, Washington, Mississippi

Tom Jones Head M 22 Mississippi
                        Eddie Jones Brother M 16 Mississippi
                        Ira Jones Brother M 18 Mississippi

I came across it by chance and thought it might come back to bite me but father is from Texas

Edward burial

Edward B. Jones died at 10:30 last night at his home at 115 Peebles Road. He was 70. Memphis Funeral Home has charge. The Commercial Appeal, February 11, 1968 _____________________________________________________ Services for Edward B. Jones of 115 West Peebles Road, retired employee of Railway Ice Co., will be held...

Ira

Name: Ira Clare Jones
                        [Ira Jones]
                        SSN: 408124394
                        Race: White
                        Birth Date: 28 Feb 1894
                        Birth Place: Columbus, Mississippi
                        Death Date: 18 Dec 1941
                        Father: Thomas Jones
                        Mother: Susie Shackelford
                        Citizenship or Alien Status: U.S. citizen.
                        Claim Date: 24 Jan 1947
                        Elaine -
                        I like it all. I wonder if Susie's husband Thomas Lee was deceased before the 1900 census? Wish LB would share what census records Susie and family have been found in? For instance - perhaps if Thomas died when Susie was still pretty young, she remarried - that could create errors with the children's surname when enumerated in the 1900 (been there, seen that with my g'grandfather) - and make them quite difficult to find in the census.
                        OK, will try to find a re-marriage for Susie.

Comment

Some candidates for marriage, but no way to confirm. I tried also looking for Susan/variants born in Louisiana in Washington, MS in the 1900 - didn't find a good candidate.

LB - do you have a citing for Thomas or Susie after their marriage? Could she also have died before the 1900?
                          Last edited by PhotoFamily; 26-02-17, 00:56.

Comment

Sorry all been on nights so just seen your replies.

The links above are for the 1870 and 1880 census for susan living with her birth family. Her father preston, and mother mary ann, both died on 17th jan 1883, but cannot find any death records or wills for either of them.

I did see that census entry for tom, Eddie and ira and saved it....as it may be them. I've found edward b jones marriage to his wife velma, and he is called Eddie on that. So it could be him on that census.

I've searched for death records for thomas lee jones and susan, yet can't find a peep about them anywhere. It is possible they may have died, but strange I can't find them or their children anywhere! It's so frustrating!

Comment

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

I've found a thomas jones living as a boarder on the 1900 census but he's listed as single. His birthplace matches and his year of birth would be correct if I'm assuming he was born around the same time as susan shackelford

Comment

If the archives of the local newspaper exist, they may be your best chance.
                                "The Enterprise-Tocsin | Serving Sunflower County since 1888"

And the HistSoc has this about newspapers:

You could also try contacting the local HistSoc - they may have other ideas for researching:

I have doubts about Thomas Jones in #15: it is such a common name, and the only connection you can identify with him besides his name is the closeness in age to Thomas Lee Jones' wife's age. Possible, but I'm not convinced it is probable.
                                Did you notice his occupation? RR Bri??? watchman. RR is probably Railroad. Bri??? don't know if that would be the name of the railroad company or some modifier of watchman. Hmm.

I'm not surprised you haven't found DCs for Thomas & Susan. If he died, leaving Susan with young children, they could easily have been broken up, or, as mentioned before, she remarried and her children's surnames were mis-written on the census schedule. Women didn't have much opportunity for being self-sustaining.

Comment

I agree about the thomas jones I found, although his birthplace also matches but again I may be clutching at straws.

If thomas did die and susan remarried, would the children have adopted a different surname to then have reverted back to Jones when they themselves got married?

Thank you for the newspaper hints, I'll take a look at them!

Comment

I agree about the thomas jones I found, although his birthplace also matches but again I may be clutching at straws.

If thomas did die and susan remarried, would the children have adopted a different surname to then have reverted back to Jones when they themselves got married?
                                    I wouldn't lose track of that Thomas Jones, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on him.

Research in the US frustrates the UK members! The US doesn't have one authority making laws about how things are done across the country

So, adoption laws and reporting of BMD vary by state, and sometimes even by county. That link to wiki.familysearch indicated that MS didn't require official recording of BMD until 1912! Wow. My impression is that adoption laws were not very formal in at least some states in the 1800s - but I've never researched in MS, so I don't know what they were there.

I have cousins in CA whose parents divorced - the kids adopted the surname of their stepfather, but I don't think there was a formal adoption. One in Chicago around the turn of the century did about the same thing.

But enumerators often got it wrong in the census, especially for young children. They interviewed the mother, made assumptions about the relationship (mom said, yes, I have three children, Thomas, Ira and Eddie - and didn't state they were not the biological children of the Head of Household, for example). Would you want to explain all the details of your family to a stranger (the enumerator), when you know the dishes need washing, and there's dinner to get on the table before your man comes home from his hard day at work? And I've seen where the enumerator did try to clarify the relationships after mis-writing them, only to have them mis-transcribed.

And it was difficult to keep a family together when there was no bread-winner. If Thomas died, or even if it were Susan, one-parent households were tough to hold together. Or both of them. Or divorce/separation.

Comment

I understand the difficulties faced by women when their husbands died, or left. I have a few women like this is my family tree, and their children would be listed as the children of the new man.

However, would the children then revert back to their original surnames when they themselves got married later on? Wouldn't this also pose some awkward Questions? It's easy to find ira and Edward and their spouses on the later census, so if their mother susan had got remarried, wouldn't they have carried on their new surname?

Comment

would the children then revert back to their original surnames when they themselves got married later on? Wouldn't this also pose some awkward Questions? It's easy to find ira and Edward and their spouses on the later census, so if their mother susan had got remarried, wouldn't they have carried on their new surname?
                                        So, Kat found the death cert for Ira, and he's using the Jones name. so we know at least one child did.

There's really two questions about the children's surnames - were they using a step-father's surname deliberately, or were they given a step-father's surname by an enumerator/recording official (and that's assuming that Susie remarried - which we're just guessing at). And the related question - were they just lost in the census - not enumerated at all, or not together as a family, so we can't find the individuals. The possibilities are numerous.

Have you built out trees and records for the known children? Found Ira in each census? I'm not looking at your original posting, and can't remember which details you have. Building out everything you can about all branches, and looking at neighbors and roommates in the census, and informants on DCs, etc - sometimes you'll get a clue. Have you traced Preston Shackleford and Mary Ann and their children? Sometimes families took in nieces and nephews during hard times.
                                        But I think you've probably already done these things - you sound like you've already covered a lot of bases.

Comment

Working...
                                        X