1640's Peacock Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1640's Peacock Family

Hey guys. First I apologise for the long post but I didn't know how to shorten it.

I've been using a mixture of Ancestry, FreeReg and Family Search for my Peacock's this weekend. I had previously already gotten up to Richard Peacock in 1750, Horton IN Ribblesdale and his father was named Joseph who I found an hour away in Grinton 1717. That of course led me to his Father Thomas in Kirkleatham 1682. Now this is the tricky part. The name of Thomas Father is coming up as Philip and so I had a fight to find the next Baptism. 1 came up in 1646 as Philes Pacocke and at the time I had assumed that it could have been an odd spelling of Philip. Transcription error. I couldn't find it on FreeReg but I did on the other 2. Family Search did not indicate gender but Ancestry has now pointed towards it being a female. I'm now thinking Phyllis instead.

I changed the location on FreeReg to the whole of the UK and involving the name Philip Peacock between 1600-1700 any record, family members name etc and there's another possible hit. Philip Peacocke in 1630 Northamptonshire. Now is it possible for a 52 year old man to move that far in location, have a child to a random woman but still be put down as his Surname because I cannot for the life of me find an eligible looking marriage. I have found one in 1629 for his parents though. I haven't even found a Yorkshire death for Philip Peacock which is his last known location through the birth of his child.
    Last edited by lennon2011; 20-02-17, 13:16.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Don't forget that during the Commonwealth period 1649 - 1660 following the Civil War church registers were supposed to be replaced by civil registers. If you are lucky the church disobeyed the rules and still kept a baptism register, or the civil register survives, but for many parishes this period is a bit of a black hole when searching for our ancestors.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Ahh right. I did not know that so I do thank you for the information.

Comment

Also bear in mind that FreeReg doesn't have ALL surviving records, so the ones that do show up may not be the only possibilities. (I find compiling "mini" family trees, based on available records, can be a useful exercise.)

I think it was the Society of Genealogists that used to recommend trying to find 3 different types of records to establish relationships - parish records, wills, court records etc. However, this recommendation becomes difficult to follow the further back one goes in time, and I'm certainly finding it hard once I get into the 1600's - apart from parish records, very little is available on the internet and, even in record offices, many of the records are not name indexed.

I too would equate Philes (or Phileas) with Phillis/Phyllis rather than with Philip/Filipe. The feminine equivalent of Philip was Philippa.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hey, I took your advice in account on having more than one record. I tried a google search and it led me to someone's website with the name Philip Peacock and a Ralph Peacock. Upon enquiry there is a probate held by the Bothwick Institute with the name Philip Peacock and a Ralph is mentioned there.

Comment

Bear in mind you may have to trawl the images on ancestry or fmp yourself, as the handwriting can be atrocious or the index is mangled.

Comment

Working...
            X