French census records and good news!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French census records and good news!!

After years of research by a few of us we have found our great grandfather Gustave. Not only that but his father, grandfather, great grandfather & great great grandfather on his paternal side plus others on his maternal side. All from Filae.com. We have names of others but cannot prove them categorically without access to census records. Does anyone know of free French census records, looking at Normandy region.
    I have looked on Ancestry but most seem to be Paris area.

From who do you think you are magazine. So might not be able to use to them anyway...

French ancestors – the French census

Another main record that may help your research is the French population census.

In France, rather than being carried out nationally, it is in the form of a series of local censuses taken by local authorities. The first one was carried out under Napoleon in 1801 and was taken in 98 of the country’s dĂ©partements. The next one was recorded in 1806 and then 1821, 1826, 1831.

From 1831 onwards, it was taken every five years (except for 1871 – delayed until the following year, 1916 or 1941 because of wars). The census records are held locally and, though not indexed, can be a gold mine of information. They tell you the full names of residents at an address, occupation, place of birth and age and nationality.

Some censuses are digitised and available online, but most must be consulted at the departmental archives. The closed period for census records is 30 years, so the last one you can view is 1975.

Comment

have you tried www.Familysearch.org?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
        have you tried www.Familysearch.org?
        Do they have the French census on there?
        Margaret

Comment

They're beginning to index French censuses, but there isn't much available yet. There's a list here:

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Tried familysearch but so far they don't cover Normandy.

Comment

Working...
            X