Pairing up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pairing up

Can anyone find any census (or other) appearances to pair up BOTH couples in the following marriage reference?
    (From FreeBMD) Q1 1873 St George Hanover Square
    Caroline Gooch
    Sarah Swanwick
    John Henry R Miller
    John Thornton

The name of potential interest is NOT a close enough relative to justify buying a possible marriage certificate and, as yet, I haven't found anything online to help.

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Looking for possible births on the GRO index in the 4 years after the marriage there were a couple of possible Thornton births with mmn Swanwick - one in Lewisham in 1874 and one in Pancras district in 1876. I couldn't see any Miller/Swanwick births. There were two Miller/Gooch births, though they were in Norfolk so may be coincidental.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you, Judith - the two Thornton/Swanwick births sound interesting.

Jay
      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The two Miller/Gooch girls (Alice and Lucy) are in 1881 Norfolk census, the youngest children of Samuel Miller widower.
        So, not the result of a John Miller/ Caroline Gooch marriage. However, this is the marriage I was hoping for.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I would suggest they were register office marriages.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            I would suggest they were register office marriages.
            I'm sure they were, Kyle, but I would have expected to find some trace of at least one of the Johns and his wife in 1881 census.

My interest is in a Caroline Gooch, born Grimsby 1851. In 1861 she and her siblings were in Norfolk, in the care of a maternal aunt, and in 1871 she was in Marylebone with her sister, Beta, who claimed to be "Mrs Weldon", although I've never found any trace of a Mr Weldon, and when Beta later married, it was as Beta Gooch;D At that time, Caroline was a milliner and there was a gentleman visitor in the household.

(I'd spent years combing census, to no avail, for Ann Elizabeth Gooch born Norwich c1848 - only found her hiding as Beta when I searched for Caroline.) Beta went on to marry a man who was murdered and then lived with a Swiss toy boy, whom she later married.
            I can find no trace of Caroline post 1871. However, there is the 1873 marriage of a Caroline Gooch to either John Miller or John Thornton. This may not even be the marriage of MY Caroline, but when one of Beta and Caroline's brothers married in 1880, one witness was the bride's father and the other was a Caroline Miller.
            So, I was hoping for a clue in 1881 census.

Jay
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 20-02-17, 09:29.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
            X