Next step please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next step please!

I am researching my Grandfather, Albert Edward BREWSTER who was born in Camden London in 1885. At the age of 14 (1899) he was orphaned and despite having brothers and sisters entered the St Marys Islington Workhouse for what appears to be only two weeks. I cannot find him on the 1901 census but by 1902 I know he had entered the army (although it would seem he might have lied about his age) and records are clear from thereon. I am puzzled as to what might have happened to him at that time. At 14 would anyone take responsibility for him? Would he have been put to work? His occupation on his army records state he was a Barman. It doesn't sound like an apprenticeable job! Any help and information would be much appreciated.
    Thankyou!

Sue

School leaving age up until at least 1914 was 12 ............. so he would have been expected to find work.
    My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

If he had been apprenticed he could not have joined the army anyway.

As Sylvia says, he would have been expected to work and the workhouse would have quickly found him somewhere to work. He could have done far worse than been a barman!

OC

Comment

Hi Suzya,

presumably you are wanting to go backwards? do you have your grandfathers marriage cert at all? if so, what name does he give for his father and witness names too could be a help.
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes, I see on his service record that he stated he was 19 years old, est birth year 1883.

It's always possible that he did not know his exact age, but it is also not unknown for men to lie about their ages so they could enlist.

Did you notice that he was admitted to the Workhouse on 15 March 1899 on order of the Magistrate??

Name: Albert Ed Brewster
          Birth Date: 1885
          Admission Age: 14
          Admission Date: 15 Mar 1899
          Record Type: Admission
          Borough: Islington
          Parish or Poor Law Union: Islington
          Place: London, England
          Title: Workhouses and Institutions, 1898-1899

Could he have been found misbehaving??

He was also admitted to the Workhouse on 22 March 1899 on order of a Magistrate

Name: AL Ed Brewster
          Admission Date: 22 Mar 1899
          Record Type: Admission
          Title: Workhouses and Institutions, 1898-1899

Name: Albt Ed Brewster
          Admission Date: 15 Mar 1899
          Discharge Date: 22 Mar 1899
          Record Type: Admission and Discharge
          Title: Workhouses and Institutions, 1892-1899

This last record seems to show he was on Remand, admitted 15 March, discharged 22 March, admitted 22 March, discharged 29 March
          My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I can see that mother Mary Ann is living with Charles Sherwood in 1901 with them 2 Brewster children and one of the relationship born 1898. Can't see a marriage. May be Albert reacted to mother forming another relationship so soon after his father's death.

I was looking at the workhouse records after 1899. I would have hoped he would have been boarded out by the workhouse.

Vera
            Last edited by vera2013; 18-02-17, 23:59.

Comment

If he was on remand in the workhouse in March 1899, could he have been sent to prison or a bad boys home?

Comment

Just a quick look and I come up with a different family.

On his attestation Albert listed 2 brothers ,John of 3 Quadrant Grove and Frederick
                John of 3 Quadrant Grove in 1901 said he was born 1869, New Cross
                Around 1869 births for John Brewster show one born 1868D in Bethnal Green. His mothers name was Frisby

Brewster/Frisby births show :-
                John James 1868D
                Florence Emmeline 1874S
                Frederick William 1877S
                Ellen Ethel 1881J
                Albert William 1885M

Looked to be a goods match with John, Frederick and Albert Edward.

This family are on census
                RG11/715/31/1
                RG12/136/118/54

This may give a bit of background on the family but sorry Sue not helping with Albert around 1900

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                  I can see that mother Mary Ann is living with Charles Sherwood in 1901 with them 2 Brewster children and one of the relationship born 1898. Can't see a marriage. May be Albert reacted to mother forming another relationship so soon after his father's death.

I was looking at the workhouse records after 1899. I would have hoped he would have been boarded out by the workhouse.

Vera
                  Sue

Ignore this post. Wrong family.

Cliff . Well spotted. I did wonder why brother Frederick did not appear on the Census with Albert.

Vera
                  Last edited by vera2013; 19-02-17, 10:53.

Comment

I think that's the family Cliff. The birth you mentioned is Albert Edward Brewster mmn Frisby, not Albert William as you have typed. Father John Thomas Brewster died 1899 Pancras aged 58 and mother Emma June 1896 Pancras.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

This looks like his brother John In 1911 living though at 39, Lancaster Gate West in Paddington -
                      Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!
                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Sylvia C View Post
                        School leaving age up until at least 1914 was 12 ............. so he would have been expected to find work.
                        Thankyou!

Comment

Thankyou!

Comment

Thankyou for your reply, but I already have that information.

Comment

Thankyou for your reply. Yes I had got all that information but was puzzled he wDo cenas only there for 2 weeks and I would love to find out what he did and where he went afterwards!

Comment

Thankyou! Yes it is the wrong family and I have got all the relevant details. Thanks

Comment

Thanks Cliff. Yes I have got all those details but still a hole in the 1901 census! Thanks for trying!

Comment

Checking with rest of his family.

Was not with John at 3 Quadrant Grove

Not with Florence - married to Albert Ife, 17 Shirlock Rd, St Pancras.
                                    Nelly (Ellen Ethel) is with them as servant
                                    RG13/155/63/26

Not with Frederick- married to Rosa (Watts), 8 Grafton Tce, St Pancras.
                                    RG13/154/21/33

Maybe with Aunts or Uncles but I don't them
                                    Last edited by Cliff inNZ; 20-02-17, 00:54.

Comment

I seriously wonder whether he was not in a remand home of somesort .......... in which case he could be under initials only.

If he had been remanded to the Workhouse by a Magistrate, that does mean I think that he had been found misbehaving, or maybe just living on the street. I think it unlikely that they would have released him back onto the street.

Although I did try a short search using initials only.

Comment

Maybe he had a few early problems just after losing both parents. However the army obviously suited him as his conduct was exemplary and he finished as a well respected Orderly Sergeant.

Comment

Working...
                                        X