Advice on buying a Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying a Desktop

I decided to send that Desktop back as its so big ,and I just did not get on with it, now I need advice on what to buy
    I dont dare spend a lot of money, and was wondering about buying a refurbished Apple Mac, any ideas please.

I don't know about Apple (I can't stand them, even more than Win 10!), but for refurbished PCs I can highly recommend these:-

Bargain Hardware is Europe’s leading supplier of used and refurbished custom configured business and data centre IT hardware, including refurbished servers, workstations, desktop PCs, laptops and components. For over 20 years we have been providing our customers with a low cost alternative to new hardware but with the freedom to create a completely custom specification. We hold one of Europe’s largest stocks of HP ProLiant, Dell PowerEdge, IBM and Lenovo servers along with Desktop PCs and Workstations including HP EliteDesk and Dell Precision. We endeavour to provide as many configuration options as possible on the eBay platform but are restricted to offering a relatively narrow range of configuration options compared to our own site. Therefore if you require a custom configuration that you can't find here then please do use the 'Contact Us' function and we'll be happy to help.

They are all ex-lease machines, and many come with Windows 7 which will be getting updates until 2020. I have bought 3 from them and they have all been great.

Being ex-business machines they are optimised for word processing, internet browsing etc., instead of paying out for advanced graphics hardware that is only of any use to gamers.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

thanks Pete you must think I'm nuts ,but I knew I would never be comfortable with that one, maybe the jump from Vista to Windows 10 is too great.

Comment

What ever you get just make sure it has Word and Excel and your preferred browser on it otherwise you will have to buy them separately unless you down load open office.
        I got a second tower from local shop and toldthem exactly what i wanted on it andthey came and installed it too for free and took old one away for nothing. I was on vista but now got windows 7 so FTM still works on it.
        hope you find what you are looking for.
        Angelina

Comment

Thanks Angelina so afraid to make another mistake maybe I should go for windows 7 first.
          I feel a bit daft but when you buy a processor without a monitor can you connect them to any monitor ??

Comment

Not totally. There are 3 standards for monitor connections, HDMI, DVI or VGA. Most monitors and graphics cards have VGA (the oldest) and DVI (becoming the new standard), but not all. HDMI is usually for connection to a TV, but some monitors also have HDMI connections.

You can run a VGA monitor from a DVI graphics card, but not the other way round. DVI and HDMI are totally interchangeable with the correct cable/adapter.

If you see something you like, post what it is on here and I will try to advise what the connection options are.
            Last edited by PeteW1959; 17-02-17, 15:10.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Just to say Pete has been very helpful in advising me on what to buy, very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X