Lowestoft Address?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowestoft Address?

Hi folks I'm new here and seeking some info if possible on an address in Lowestoft if possible?

I'm trying to do some research on grandparents.

My GM Elizabeth Cummings, was listed on her marriage certificate as residing at 10 Reece St, Lowestoft, when she married my GF John Briggs, Stoker RN in December 1914 at St. Margaret's Lowestoft.
    She had been residing in her home town of Belfast on the 1911 census and John on HMS Speedy 1911 census.
    I have no information whether she was with family of either, or simply a lodger, and would be grateful if any of the 'detectives' amongst you can shed any light on the address regarding residents, either in the lead up to the 1914 marriage, or in the years immediately after.
    John remained in the RN until 1920 but have no trace of them until 1932 when they are recorded again in Belfast.

Any info at all will be greatly appreciated and hopefully exploited!

kind regards
    Speedy.

1911 census on FMP has Reeve Street. Number 10 is the Norman family.

First name(s)
    Last name
    Relationship
    Marital status
    Sex
    Occupation
    Birth place
    James Norman Head Married Male G E R Labourer 52 1859 Suffolk Lowestoft
    Margaret Norman Wife Married Female - 52 1859 Suffolk Lowestoft
    Gordon Norman Son Single Male G E R Tug Lowestoft Deck Hand 21 1890 Suffolk Lowestoft
    Margaret Norman Daughter - Female - 14 1897 Suffolk Lowestoft
    Ethel Norman Daughter - Female - 7 1904 Suffolk Lowestoft
    Last edited by GallowayLass; 15-02-17, 14:09.

Comment

GallowayLass,

I appreciate your response and info, although the surname is unknown to me (at the moment). I know people moved around a lot with rentals and increasing family size etc, so I will have a dig around re maiden name etc.

Thank you again for the help!

Kind regards
      Speedy.

Comment

Should have said after closer inspection of Wedding cert your spelling REEVE ST is correct!

Thanks!
        Speedy

Comment

Was the marriage after banns? If so, that address would have been her "official" place of residence for the three weeks in which the banns were read, but not necessarily her long-term residence. Was the groom of the same parish? In order to prevent banns having to be read in two different parishes (at an extra cost, I think?) sometimes one party (or even both) stayed/lodged at an address in the parish, often with family or friends of the resident party.

ETA - have you chased up the witnesses to see if you can find any connection with the bride?

Jay
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 15-02-17, 18:46.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Jay thank you for the information!
            Yes Banns were read according to wed cert (every days is a school day in this research game)!
            So GM had been at no 10 for at least 3 wks prior to wed. GF address was recorded as HMS Halcyon, although he may have been a visitor at no 10 when on shore leave???
            Not sure if there where street directories held by the council for this period, perhaps you may be aware of this or if there is online access? Just a shot in the dark as she obviously left Belfast to get married at some stage after 1911 census.

As said I greatly appreciate the interest and time all have shown in assisting me with this.

Kind regards
            Speedy

Comment

Speedy ............

Sometimes they did as little as leaving an unpacked suitcase (clothes in a drawer or cupboard) in a bedroom in the house, without actually staying there themselves. This did seem to happen more often when the prospective spouse was living with parents at the address ......... but it would be very hard for the vicar to prove that they were not "in residence".

The problem with family research is that everything is just a snippet of one moment in time.

A census is one night out of 10 years.

The electoral roll is updated once a year.

So much becomes guesswork!

Plus she was a woman ............. and women were not included in street directories or electoral rolls for a long time unless they were property owners.
              My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Thanks for that Sylvia, just thought that as street directories (depending on council I suppose) may have given me a more chronological list of the head resident at the address, which may have opened another door!

Yes it's so much if's and but's and a large smattering of luck, not to mention the unselfish contributions of the 'enlightened' which without doubt helps us less well informed!

Thank you for your time and wisdom! (Electoral lists)

Kind regards
                Speedy

Comment

Speedy,

the following may be of some interest, if you are not already aware of it.
                  HMS Speedy was a Torpedo Gunboat with a crew of 91 and was re-commissioned at Sheerness on 5/3/1914. In August 1914 (outbreak of WW1) she was with the North Sea Fisheries as a tender to HMS Halcyon but struck a mine 30 miles off the Humber on 3/9/1914 and was lost.
                  HMS Halcyon was also a Torpedo Gunboat, 1st Class, and had a crew of 121. She was re-commissioned at Sheerness on 5/7/1913 and in August 1914 became the Senior Naval Officer's ship with the North Sea Fisheries. These naval ships would have provided protection for the fishing fleet and as such would have used various East Coast ports such as Lowestoft, Yarmouth etc.

The National Archives hold service records of RN ratings and 2, possibly 3, of them relate to Stokers named John Briggs who seem to have joined the RN before 1909.

The first is a John Briggs, b. 4/1/1888 Woolwich, who enlisted in 1907 as a Short Service Stoker with Service number SS106435 and he may also be John Briggs, Stoker, with the same birthdate and place, who joined in 1910 with Service number K5126.
                  The second, or third, was a John Briggs, b. 29/4/1891 Manchester, who enlisted in 1909.
                  If you know your grandfather's dob and birthplace, one of these may be his service record, which can be downloaded from TNA for £3.45 - cheap as chips!

There are other Briggs recorded but those have John as just one of their names.

Hope this helps with some background.

merleyone

Comment

Merleyone, you really are a ****h! Thank you soooooo much for all the graft. I do have all that info, even though his Year birth was wrong on his records you tracked him down. (Both numbers are his as he transferred to a full 12yr engagement from a 5 +7 yrs reserve service) so well done there!

I do really appreciate the effort and collective interest, not to mention the time committed to help others in their quests!

keep up the good work please on behalf of us novices.

kind regards

Speedy

Comment

Merleyone, please for give the edit I've managed to leave the E out of sleuth!!!

speedy

Comment

Working...
                      X