Family Tree Maker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker

have finally installed it on my new PC, but cannot for the life of me work out how to get my tree from ancestry into it and sync them
    Help

Does this help, Val?
    The official home page for Family Tree Maker customer support, with free live chat 24/7, updates and other resources, for all versions including our newest release, FTM 2019.
    Elaine

Comment

thanks for helping Elaine I did all that and ended up with this but not both lines just the first one and no people appearedftm.JPG

Comment

aha I just unticked that box and now the file has appeared and is downloading ? just hope I can sync it after thanks a lot Elaine.
        Blast just got a message saying there is a long script running do I want to stop it,hope I did the right thing I clicked yes
        Last edited by Guest; 10-02-17, 20:39.

Comment

Have the trees synced OK now Val?
          Elaine

Comment

hi Elaine they hadn't last night, I was wondering. to get the tree on the new pc I installed the disc, which had 6 months worldwide free, but I had already used that so I registered the disc but did not activate the free sub , could that be why ? maybe I should unregister it ?if thats possible.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-02-17, 12:21.

Comment

You need to have the program registered so that it will link with your Ancestry account, so it can't be that.
              There have been quite a few issues lately of problems with the sync facility so maybe try it again and see what happens.
              Elaine

Comment

thanks for helping I'll check it now

Comment

Elaine it says not uploaded and linked or shared online, I know this is probably a daft question but if I click on the sync thing wont it upload the whole tree to ancestry?? or does it just link back to ancestry

Comment

I'm confused!
                    Is the tree on FTM and you want to sync with Ancestry - or the other way round, the tree is on Ancestry and you want to sync with FTM.
                    Elaine

Comment

Just a thought Val - as you have just installed FTM on your new computer, have you checked there are no FTM updates which need to be installed.
                      Click on HELP >> CHECK FOR UPDATES.
                      Elaine

Comment

I am confusing , I have the tree on this pc and also on ancestry and this one is synced, but as I am going to stop using this one I want my tree programme on this pc and the new one for now, does that make sense.

Comment

I think I understand you!

First of all you can only sync from one computer - so if your tree is currently synced to Ancestry on your old computer then it cannot also be synced to Ancestry on the new one. You can however, work on your tree on Ancestry from either computer and any updates will be synced back to FTM on the computer of your choice.

If your tree is currently synced between Ancestry and your old computer - and you decide you would prefer it to be synced to your new computer - the first thing you will have to do is unsync the tree (on the old computer). Once you have done that you can then resync between Ancestry and the new computer.

Does that make sense .. and help?
                          Elaine

Comment

hi again yes there were updates done them now, but it then asked me again to register it I had already done that ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              hi again yes there were updates done them now, but it then asked me again to register it I had already done that ?
                              If it's already registered I wouldn't worry - probably just an automatic pop up after the update.
                              Elaine

Comment

tell me Elaine if I do the syncing will it merge with my tree already on Ancestry or duplicate it ?

Comment

If you have a tree on your computer and you sync with Ancestry - it will upload an exact copy of your FTM tree into Ancestry, overwriting any copy you might have on Ancestry with the same name.

If you have a tree on Ancestry and you sync with FTM - it will download an exact copy of your tree from Ancestry to FTM - overwriting any copy of that tree you already have on FTM.

However, remember you can only sync to one computer - so if the tree you are talking about is currently synced to a different computer to the one you are using, then you will need to unlink it first.
                                  Elaine

Comment

thanks so much Elaine I do have it on my laptop as well as this pc, so I should unlink it first then, you are wonderful

Comment

just one thing is that including media

Comment

Yes, when you sync between FTM and Ancestry (both ways) it will include media - although I believe there is a "tick box" somewhere in FTM that gives you the option to sync without media. You should see it as you go through the sync process.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X