WW1 Medal Roll Quiery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 Medal Roll Quiery

I have one of the above which i'm scratching my head over. The recipient was regular army and part of the BEF in 1914 with the regiment one of the first to land in France and see action. His medal roll shows he's been issued with the Victory Medal & the British Medal but no Star or 1914-1915 Star. As he was part of the BEF i would have thought he would have been entitled to one or the other. The mention of a Clasp which was only awarded for these, as far as i'm aware, seem to indicate he was entitled. Why would this have been left off or is it just an over-site?

Just as an addition to this, i've just been looking at a photo of him and it shows him in uniform wearing all three medals inc clasp to Star??

Comment

Originally posted by andrew193 View Post
      I have one of the above which i'm scratching my head over. The recipient was regular army and part of the BEF in 1914 with the regiment one of the first to land in France and see action. His medal roll shows he's been issued with the Victory Medal & the British Medal but no Star or 1914-1915 Star. As he was part of the BEF i would have thought he would have been entitled to one or the other. The mention of a Clasp which was only awarded for these, as far as i'm aware, seem to indicate he was entitled. Why would this have been left off or is it just an over-site?
      I suppose it is just an error of recording if you see him actually wearing it.

Margaret

Comment

Are you talking about the recipient's individual medal roll index card, which should record all 3 awards, or images of the actual medal rolls, which show lists of men from the same regiment, receiving the same awards?
        In the case of the latter, most of the men I've researched appeared on two rolls - one for victory and war medal, a different set of images for their star. So, if I've viewed an image of the page from the medal roll relevant to one of my men, at the top it says "Yorkshire regiment" and underneath "roll of individuals entitled to the Victory/and or British war medal". It then lists a number of men from that regiment, detailing name, rank, number and remarks.
        His star would be recorded on a different roll.

I'm sure, like any other set of records, mistakes were made, especially if there was some method of cross referencing from medal roll to index card (or vice versa.)

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Working...
        X