Alvey Street Elephant and Castle London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alvey Street Elephant and Castle London

I am in the Oddfellows Society and the Quarterly magazine letters page has a query from someone who is not on line and Surname Alvey, but their late parents said that some of the Family were living in City of London and they are trying to find how this Street got its name, prior to 1912 it was called Hen and Chicken Lane.
    If anyone fancies a challenge to find out more and can help with this query I will try to pass on their findings

Edna

This is interesting seems it was named after a Pub?

From cocks to hens and chickens, which takes us to Hen and Chicken Court off Fleet Street, named after a tavern called the Hen and Chicken. Hen and chicken were terms for pewter pots used to hold alcohol; they were also symbolic in Christian art of God’s providence, and therefore made a useful image for signs.

Last edited by Guest; 08-02-17, 12:03.

Comment

Thanks Val but it is Alvey Street that she is interested in and probably hoping to find a Family story around it.

Edna

Comment

oh thought you meant its first name

Comment

Post from http://www.forum.familyhistory.uk.co...p/t-21614.html

JeffAlvey
          26th April 2012, 17:23
          I have one in reverse:

Alvey Street in London was previously called Hen and Chicken Lane.
          The local residents requested the name be changed as it did not represent the majority of businesses be carried out there, and that it suggested some form of a market (which it wasn't) therefore detracting from their potential sales.

In 1912 it was renamed Alvey Street after a local churchman in the area.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

thanks Kat that is a great help, anyone find the Churchman called Alvey in the area
            Edna

Comment

There was one on the Board of Newington Vestry.(St Mary's)but that was 1860's and 70's. Mentioned in South London Chronicle a few times to do with Parish business. No title or first name just Alvey among a list of names on the board.

There is a John Alvey b 1853 living in the parish of Newington on 1891,1901 and 1911 censuses a Tobacco Cutter And Dryer originally from Nottingham.

Not much help - sorry.
              Kat

Comment

Thanks Kat that's great, lots of info there even if it doesn't prove the street was named after either it gives the person something to start on.
                Edna

Comment

Originally posted by clematised View Post
                  I am in the Oddfellows Society and the Quarterly magazine letters page has a query from someone who is not on line and Surname Alvey, but their late parents said that some of the Family were living in City of London and they are trying to find how this Street got its name, prior to 1912 it was called Hen and Chicken Lane.
                  If anyone fancies a challenge to find out more and can help with this query I will try to pass on their findings

Edna
                  i had a reply from the Editor who is going to include your findings in the next issue of Oddfellows magazine in April and have credited Family Tree Forum for finding these results, so this may bring in more people to the Forum with their questions

Edna

Comment

Hopefully so, Edna.

A Chemist wouldn't look out of place on the Board of Newington Vestry. Not a churchman but who knows if that information is correct?

1871 Census RG10 / 621/95/51
                    Penton Place, Newington, St Saviour Southwark, London, England

Edmund Alvey Head - Male 36 1835 - Middlesex, England a Chemist
                    Emily Alvey Wife - Female 31 1840 - Middlesex, England
                    William ? Webb Nephew - Male 5 1866 - Middlesex, England
                    Kat

Comment

Working...
                    X