Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is a full suscription not a full subscription?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a full suscription not a full subscription?

Really annoyed with Ancestry!

I have a full World subscription, and searching for a twig on my tree, I came up with a possible army deserters entry for him. The details gave an image avaialble on something called 'Fold3'. I clicked on the image link and found I needed a $50 subscription to view it. On closer inspection, this is just another part of Ancestry, so why isn't it included in a whole world subscription?

They do a 7 day free trial, so I was able to get the image, not that it was any help as there isn't much more in the image than the transcription. The search on this sub-site only allows you to search for US military records, but the image I had was from the UK Police Gazette. This site seems pretty useless for non-US searches.

I have immediately cancelled my free subscription, as they take credit card details to activate it!
    Last edited by PeteW1959; 08-02-17, 10:09.
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

I have moved you post to Research Pete because I thought it a more appropriate place for it.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 08-02-17, 11:19.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

I noticed that the other day too and was surprised, I did not pay it, but complained to Ancestry.

Comment

It's the index they have. The images are payed for, like finding records on familysearch and having to go to fmp or ancestry.

Comment

I can understand searches on Familysearh (a free service) and having to go to Ancestry and pay for the image, but to got to Fold3 and pay for an image after using a paid for search on Ancestry is wrong; Fold3 is part of Ancestry!
          Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
          Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
          Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
          Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
          Devine in Ireland

Comment

I would suggest this is something to do with the history of Fold 3

The parent company iArchives launched a site Footnote.com in 2007, this site was later renamed Fold3.
            Footnote has affiliates who licensed records to them for a fee.

Ancestry.com took over iArchives including Footnote it could be that the earlier licensing agreements prevent Footnote (Fold3) being fully absorbed into the Ancestry.com stable.

Does Ancestry.com claim to provide subscribers to the Fold3 records?

Cheers
            Guy
            Last edited by Guy; 08-02-17, 13:59.
            Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I think I remember a time shortly after ancestry took over fold3 that a world sub was all you needed to access these records. This all inclusive sub is a recent phenonenon.

Comment

Working...
              X