Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I having a problem with Ancestry or is it my computer??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I having a problem with Ancestry or is it my computer??

I could do with some advice please.

I am having one of my rare months memberships with ancestry. Happily working away at my computer I suddenly noticed that one branch of the Tree, my husbands, who have been on for quite a while, were reproducing x3 each person (reproducing themselves that is)!
    I contacted Ancestry - the last thing I wanted to do was waste time sorting this, which was out of my control, as I would be wasting my membership. In any case I wanted to know what had happened as I haven't been near this lot for a while.
    Ancestry told me that this does happen if you have a large Tree ........... this defies logic in my humble opinion - why would the Tree (all on its own) suddenly start duplicating stuff if it was struggling with the size of the Tree. I know they reproduced well when alive but really! Anc. said they could do nothing about it etc., etc; they are not allowed to touch the tree (i.e. stands for "I didn't do it because I didn't touch the Tree")
    If I start putting it right now (these are straight duplicates with attachments or most attachments, still intact) then I shall be wasting my hard earned months membership.
    Does ancestry,s explanation sound logical to those among you who know about these things? If it is logical then I should probably move from ancestry (which is the only website I find easy to use) because I plan to add more to the Tree. Has anyone else had this sort of thing happen.
    I suppose in all honesty it is better than having things disappearing - I wondered if this has happened to anyone else i.e. remote duplication of folk on their Trees?

Sue - very fed up!
    Last edited by Sue1; 07-02-17, 17:22.

If you are attaching records to your Ancestry tree, I wonder if you are somehow creating new individuals to attach them to, rather than attaching to existing individuals, thus creating duplicates.
    Elaine

Comment

A friend of mine had an issue with completely unrelated records attaching to her tree and for one person there was over 100 records all nothing to do with him!
      Ancestry agreed it was a software glitch but could/would not sort it so my friend had to resort to deleting the person and putting him back on again - that worked.

Margaret

Comment

No, ancestry won't help at all - they have told me that duplications of folk occurs with trees that have a lot of folk on them ............that defies all logic - if the tree feels it is overburdened it is unlikely to duplicate itself and make things worse! I have taken out a rare 1 month membership of ancestry - I am now in the situation where I really cannot be bothered any more - perhaps I will stop researching ........but it is addictive. I have not been able to do any research because I am trying to put tree right and now, just to rub salt into the wounds, I find out that people are on 2 week free trials .............Here I am, sitting at the computer trying to save the Tree and getting no use from my membership and I could have had a free trial and perhaps wouldn't have felt as badly towards ancestry!!!! They also told me that they have made no alterations to ancestry - well I may be old but I am not that unaware of my surroundings!!!
        I have told them that if they don't fix it I shall put a picture of what has happened to my Tree on a public website - don't suppose they give a damn as long as the money keeps rolling in. I suppose I had better hit the sack - it is 6.17am!

Sue

Comment

Hi Elaine, I haven't worked on that part of the Tree for ages - I only found out what happened because someone in the USA is researching the same family as I am and whilst looking at the Tree for the Connors I suddenly saw what had happened to the Cassidys!!! All the pictures have gone from the Cassidys - no one else can get into the Tree normally - sometimes I will make it available to someone but not all that recently - I was speechless - and that doesn't happen very often - have they been breeding I ask myself since ancestry thinks it is nothing to do with them. I haven't looked any further to see if it has happened elsewhere - I also notice that an awful lot of my pictures have totally disappeared - wonder what they did wrong!
          Sue - fairly incandescent!

Comment

Do you have Family Tree Maker Sue? if so, Download a GEDCOM from Ancestry and import it into FTM and with regards to being able to access your Tree on Ancestry.

What happens to my tree after I cancel my Ancestry subscription?
            : http://ancestry.custhelp.com/app/ans...l/a_id/5035/kw... - this applies to the free trial since it's a free trial of a subscription.

What happens to my tree after I cancel my Ancestry subscription?
            When your subscription is cancelled, you will still have an account with Ancestry.com. This account is free and is known as a Registered Guest account. There are many things you can do as a Registered Guest.

This article discusses the following:

What will be available?
            What will not be available?
            What if I want to delete my tree?

What will be available?

Once you have cancelled your subscription with Ancestry, you will still be able to sign in to the account with your username and password as a Registered Guest. You will still be able to build your tree, see if you have new hints, and search any of the free databases that we have on the site.

Tree Maintenance

We understand the effort that it takes to build and maintain a family tree, and want to be sure that the results of that effort are preserved. We will keep your tree on the site even when you no longer have a subscription. You will be able to do the following things with your tree as a registered guest.

Add and remove people and photos in your tree
            Change names, dates, and other facts
            Change the name of your tree (view the last section of the linked article for instructions)
            Invite friends and family to view your tree
            Instructions on all of these features can be found by clicking here.

Hints

You will be able to see if there are new hints available to view in your tree. You will not be able to open or attach these hints without a subscription. We are constantly adding to and updating the records available on the site, and you may be able to find a new piece of information that was not previously available.
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

What I mean is that if you have FTM then you can import your Ancestry Tree and work on it offline or create a new tree on ancestry with a new name so you don't get muddled. Please tell me that Ancestry isn't the ONLY tree you have and that it is your master tree.
              Julie

Comment

So frustrating for you Sue. Ancestry now has the facility to merge two individuals (on the Facts page above the Facts button) after which you could merge with the third multiple person if you wish. Sometimes I end up with an extra spouse after adding a marriage (oops that makes me sound like a bigamist, don't tell my OH!)

Comment

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                  So frustrating for you Sue. Ancestry now has the facility to merge two individuals (on the Facts page above the Facts button) after which you could merge with the third multiple person if you wish. Sometimes I end up with an extra spouse after adding a marriage (oops that makes me sound like a bigamist, don't tell my OH!)
                  Yes I get that too sometimes Jill so find the merge a great help. [it sometimes happens say if the mother has remarried and the children have taken on the new dad's name, but are also in the tree in their original name, that duplicates too.. so the merge is really quite handy.]

just wish they had a 'batch' merge for when you have 10 children in a tree!
                  Julie

Comment

poor you Sue I would be mad too when some are getting free access and you have paid,

Comment

My mum sometime gets doubles on her trees and sometimes the names go missing meaning if want a certain member we have to use the search on the tree and because of issues with ours we broke the tree up to grandparents split up in 4 by there surnames.

One tree we have private as we have relatives cousins/gr nephews on ours who have there tree private who we found on Ancestry we dint know of and private due to personal images.
                      Last edited by jen1302; 09-02-17, 21:21.

Comment

Working...
                      X