Rheumatic born near ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rheumatic born near ?????

Hi, Can anyone tell me, or have a guess, where my Barnes Boote was born near?
    I guessed India but "born near India" doesn't make sense.
    Any help on this would be much appreciated.
    I have enclosed the original (PDF). Barnes Boot is the penultimate entry of the first block.
    I can read:
    Barnes Boote, Age 45, 23 years of Service, Rheumatic, Born near Lab
    Also what could the word in the margin at the very right of his entry mean?
    Thanks in advance
    Jackboot

Sorry, the link is:
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/sa...1u4el.jpg.html

Comment

Originally posted by Jackboot View Post
      Hi, Can anyone tell me, or have a guess, where my Barnes Boote was born near?
      I guessed India but "born near India" doesn't make sense.
      Any help on this would be much appreciated.
      I have enclosed the original (PDF). Barnes Boot is the penultimate entry of the first block.
      I can read:
      Barnes Boote, Age 45, 23 years of Service, Rheumatic, Born near Lab
      Also what could the word in the margin at the very right of his entry mean?
      Thanks in advance
      Jackboot

Could it be born near Indies - as opposed to, say East Indies, far Indies etc?
      Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Rheumatic born near ?????

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
        Could it be born near Indies - as opposed to, say East Indies, far Indies etc?
        Christine
        I had thought of that Christine but just like near India, near Indies doesn't seem to make sense as I can't find any town so named.
        I have had a long look at it and on comparing the letters with others on the document, think that it might start with an "S" and end in "iater" or "ioter" or "der" but I have not been able to come up with any areas or towns which fit to my way of thinking so I am probably completely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackboot View Post
          I had thought of that Christine but just like near India, near Indies doesn't seem to make sense as I can't find any town so named.
          I have had a long look at it and on comparing the letters with others on the document, think that it might start with an "S" and end in "iater" or "ioter" or "der" but I have not been able to come up with any areas or towns which fit to my way of thinking so I am probably completely wrong.
          I meant "Near Indies" as a very broad general area, just as we currently use the term "West Indies" to encompass various Caribbean islands.
          Christine
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

I'm having trouble reading the page - is there anyway you could snip and enlarge the relevant entry please?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
              I'm having trouble reading the page - is there anyway you could snip and enlarge the relevant entry please?

Margaret
              Hi Margaret, I did try to do include the cut-out with the message but can not copy it onto the board. Is there a Special way of including such Information or must I always put it in a Folder in Photobucket?

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                I meant "Near Indies" as a very broad general area, just as we currently use the term "West Indies" to encompass various Caribbean islands.
                Christine
                Looking at the document the writer seems to be clear with every entry that it is either in a town or near a town/area. I would have thought that in your suggestion it would then have been near the Indies, don't you think?
                There do seem to be a number of scottish birth places and one Suggestion I received was Inch in Scotland.

Comment

I have added an expanded Version under the same link which you should be able to access by pressing the previous button.
                  I am also attempting to add it straight on here via URL - not sure if it will work though
                  [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Looks a bit like 'lincoln'. But the first letter seems to be an 's'. Very poor quality image.

Comment

Can't enlarge the image enough but I agree it might say Lincoln.
                      Anne

Comment

On looking I had thought Inch which can be Insch, Aberdeen. I have someone on my tree but on checking that one is Inshes, Inverness.

Vera

Comment

I thought Lincoln too, but very difficult to read. Is is a WO116 reference? (given on the original image you posted, but too small to read) You can download the full ref from the National Archives website for free, to see if it's clearer
                          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

when using photobucket, you do need to copy and paste the IMG code [the last one in the list] this will then display it onsite, also depending what OS you are using you can use the 'snip' feature within windows, then upload that to photobucket and post onsite.

I can't read the image you have posted but if you can do as Ann suggests and download from the National Archives then enlarge it and re -post i'll be happy to have a look.
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by annswabey View Post
                              I thought Lincoln too, but very difficult to read. Is is a WO116 reference? (given on the original image you posted, but too small to read) You can download the full ref from the National Archives website for free, to see if it's clearer
                              Many thanks for that hint Ann, I was of the opinion that one had to visit the NA in order to see a better copy. I have now downloaded the document and hope to post a better image

Comment

Thanks to Ann's Suggestion I now hope that I have a better Image. I have done as you say and pasted the IMG code - hopefully the Quality is now better and someone can decyper it for me.
                                Looking at the better Image I do not think that the first letter is an L [compare with next word Lab) but an S

Comment

Jack you have done really well with the new image could you please do another that shows the whole line please. [it'll help with the deciphering] thank you. :smilee:
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Going by surrounding letters it looks like Seioten .... hmm, not finding anything like that, or Scioten or Scioter. Do you have any clues at all about which county it might be in?

By the way we can now see the other word you mention is Reumatizm. The T in that is very like the possible T in the place name.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                      Jack you have done really well with the new image could you please do another that shows the whole line please. [it'll help with the deciphering] thank you. :smilee:
                                      Not sure about the really well, it was more luck than anything else. I hope the complete line is just as good. I read it as follows:

Regiment Name Age Service Examination on Friday 8th December 1769 Admitted Discharged
                                      1st Foot Guards Barnes Boote 45 23 Rheumatic Born near "wherever" Lab Do (for Ditto) Refused or referr[IMG][/IMG]ed

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                                        Going by surrounding letters it looks like Seioten .... hmm, not finding anything like that, or Scioten or Scioter. Do you have any clues at all about which county it might be in?

By the way we can now see the other word you mention is Reumatizm. The T in that is very like the possible T in the place name.

Anne
                                        Ann, I agree with all you say and it is as far as I have got. I have spent hpuirs pouring over this and have got no further than:
                                        S*iate* S*die* Siater Sciater S*ates Si*ctes Siates etc etc etc. None of them seem to make sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                                        X