Workhouse query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workhouse query

if somebody lived in Islington up till at least 1882 could they be in Newington Workhouse in Southwark in 1891, or would it be considered out of her area.
    Thanks

That's way out of area val. What eveidence do you have to suggest this person is yours? Did this person die in the workhouse? Deaths record home address.

Comment

She'd have to have been living south of the river to be admitted to Newington.

Comment

Thanks that's what I thought . big coincidence then, as I have mentioned this before but it just does not sit right with me.

Ann Elizabeth Wallis/Wallace born 17 Jan 1856 married 21 Aug 1882 in Islington William Brown aged 23 a Printer
        She is a Shirt Maker in 1881

Then they both disappear

Found in 1891 Newington Workhouse

Ann Elizth Brown born 1855 a Widow Machinist

I have looked and could not find a person with this name and age in 1881

There is a record of a William Brown Printer found guilty of manslaughter in 1884
        which may explain if its him why there isn't a William Brown printer in 1891 as maybe he had to change occupation? or maybe Ann left him and she isn't really a widow in 1891
        So many maybes would appreciate any feedback

I've not found either a death or her after the workhouse record
        Last edited by Guest; 05-02-17, 15:07.

Comment

The manslaughter was a gruesome one....

A searchable online edition of the Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913.

Perhaps Ánn Elizabeth moved south of the river so perhaps not out of the question it is her

Comment

Thanks Bertie I did wonder if it was him maybe she left and moved away, have found a likely death for him in 1890 which would make her a widow in 1891.

Comment

I forgot to add - but perhaps you know this already - the Clerkenwell area of Islington is just outside and adjacent to the northern boundary of the City of London and it is an easy [almost straight!] walk from there over Blackfriars Bridge to Newington, south of the river A little over 2 miles depending on where she lived.

Comment

Thanks Bertie I am almost positive he is that printer, so maybe she left him, I just found a couple of trees with a William Brown Father Bricklayer, so have contacted them maybe they can help.

Comment

Working...
                X