Whereabouts of Irish place - not on map nor on computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whereabouts of Irish place - not on map nor on computer

I wonder if anyone can help me here - I have the name of a place from a Will I have partially downloaded from Proni (I say partially because the website crashed just after I got page 1 - there are 2 more to download!) Loads of Connors are named in the Will i.e. 2 children in the Workhouse who have to stay there until old enough to handle money; 2 others (females) working at the Lunatic Asylum in Downpatrick.
    What intrigues me is the name of the place where Thomas Connor died - he was a farmer and the will says he died in ?Ballymagrass ?Ballymagress which is in Co. Down - have never heard of it nor, more relevantly OH who hails from Co. Down has never heard of -no sign of it. Having got so much information from his Will about Connors I had never heard of, it would appear he comes from a place that no one has heard of - I suppose it is possible that it has been renamed especially if it was the name of his farm rather than a township.
    Any clues would be gratefully received Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 04-02-17, 00:41.

Post a picture of the word so people see the writing and make suggestions?

Comment

Don't despair...I had a similar hunt for Drumanaught/Drimenaught/ Drimanacht in Donegal....locals in Letterkenny just shook their heads....but despite all, I found it as a little hamlet just out of the main town. Took a few years but I did find it eventually.

Could it possibly be Ballynagross?

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
        I wonder if anyone can help me here - I have the name of a place from a Will I have partially downloaded from Proni (I say partially because the website crashed just after I got page 1 - there are 2 more to download!) Loads of Connors are named in the Will i.e. 2 children in the Workhouse who have to stay there until old enough to handle money; 2 others (females) working at the Lunatic Asylum in Downpatrick.
        What intrigues me is the name of the place where Thomas Connor died - he was a farmer and the will says he died in ?Ballymagrass ?Ballymagress which is in Co. Down - have never heard of it nor, more relevantly OH who hails from Co. Down has never heard of -no sign of it. Having got so much information from his Will about Connors I had never heard of, it would appear he comes from a place that no one has heard of - I suppose it is possible that it has been renamed especially if it was the name of his farm rather than a township.
        Any clues would be gratefully received Sue
        The will abstract gives it as Ballynagross:

Full Abstract :
        The Will of Thomas Connor late of Ballynagross County Down Farmer deceased who died 19 January 1870 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Felix Connor of Struel Farmer and William Dugan Cabinetmaker (both) in Downpatrick) said County) the Executors.

See the Wikipedia link Bev posted.
        Also map here: http://media.wix.com/ugd/d6d74e_3401...1f58b67203.pdf
        Plus http://www.annaclonehistory.com/clients

Christine
        Last edited by Karamazov; 04-02-17, 06:39.
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

You are absolute stars .............. yes it is Ballynagross and what it is even better is that it is in the county where expected. Co. Down.

Thank you all so much.

Sue

Comment

Hi Christine; having had a further look at the Will and other bits to do with this chap I had never heard of before I have now read the main part of the Will - he is the one who gives the information that 2 children have had to go into the Workhouse - have never heard of the children but will have to have a good look for them - they were in Downpatrick Workhouse and there appear to be no records - I think one of the children died - the little girl - I think she was Rachel Connor - the boy is mentioned in one of the ad ons to the Will - he had to make a statement - not sure I understood why.
            Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue1 View Post
              the boy is mentioned in one of the ad ons to the Will - he had to make a statement - not sure I understood why.
              Sue
              It is James Clarke, one of the witnesses to the will, who makes an additional statement/oath, NOT one of the Connors mentioned as beneficiaries in the will.

Christine

PS - for anyone who wants to see the will, it can be seen here: http://apps.proni.gov.uk/DCAL_PRONI_...aspx?id=163027
              Last edited by Karamazov; 13-02-17, 22:26.
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Working...
              X