Windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 10

Have finally modernised and got a Windows 10 Desktop, are there any tips I need to know before I set it up, and also how easy is it to transfer my stuff over
    Thanks

Get rid of the 'bloatware'. It comes with loads of apps built in, most of which you will never use (who needs a camera or sat nav on a desktop PC!), and even if you do use them there are much better apps available.

Instructions here:- http://www.howtogeek.com/224798/how-...einstall-them/

Unless you want to be tied to Micro$oft, DON'T link a Hotmail account. When you are setting up it will look like you have no choice but create or link to a Hotmail account, but you don't have to.

Unless you already use OneDrive, don't bother with that either. You will start off with loads of storage, but Micro$oft will suddenly reduce it and then you have to pay to get it increased!
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

oh dear lots of stuff I didn't know about thanks I think Pete, can you believe have had it since early this morning and its still in its box, going to take my time.

Comment

Val, its really easy, don't worry! Pete gives good advice though, there's lots you will never need so getting rid of clutter is a great idea.
        Anne

Comment

thanks Anne must say its a nice box and the keyboard and mouse was supposed to be wired but its wireless , so thats good.

Comment

Install ClassicShell - free and allows you to have the benefits of Windows 10, such as they are, whilst having whatever interface you like (so it looks/feels like Windows7/8/XP etc.)

Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

thanks Anthony got me worried now are you saying windows 10 does not have many benefits? will look into that link thanks.
              Today is the grand opening day ,gulp, if I dont re-appear you will know what happened.

Comment

if it ain't broke don't fix it!.. stop faffing about and fiddling, try it 'as is' :smilee:

I wouldn't worry about space and filling it up either.. i'll bet you at least have a TB of storage which is plenty big enough, i'm not even 20% into my TB and I have masses of stuff, including photos that are above 4meg and at least 20-30 DVD movies!
                Last edited by Darksecretz; 03-02-17, 06:07.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It's not storage space that's the issue with the built in apps, but system resources. They load at startup, and most of them are busy in the background waiting for you to use them, monitoring what you are doing, sending data to Micro$oft (via OneDrive amongst other things) and generally slowing things down. When I installed Windows 10, without doing anything, the CPU utilisation was around 25% and memory 45%. After I disabled all the rubbish, CPU dropped to around 2% and memory 15%!

The link I gave doesn't uninstall the apps, just turns them off, so it won't make any difference to disc space anyway.
                  Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
                  Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                  Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                  Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

thanks Julie I am just about to take it out of the box, and thanks Pete sounds good to me, I thought I was going to be uninstalling lots of stuff

Comment

Problem already keyboard wont let me do a @ HELP

Comment

you have your keyboard set to English US not English UK, if you press shift and the number 2 together you 'should see' the '@' symbol, which will confirm that it is a US layout.

:smilee:
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

thanks Julie think its worked but it wont accept the password I gave it so cannot get into it at all now, says I can change it but have to have set it up on a flash drive first which of course I couldn't, this is ridiculous.
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-02-17, 15:07.

Comment

If you had any 'special characters' in the password they probably need a different keypress now..

ie: if you used an @ in the password, you would now need to type "

once you have managed to login, change your password..

If all else fails, the PC should have the ability to reinstall windows from scratch..
                            https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

thanks Grim but I cannot get past the password bit so how can I reset the pc, I didn't even manage to make the recovery disc ,not even registered it yet as I couldn't give my email address, excuse me while I screaaaaaaaaaaaaam.

Comment

what make/model is it Val

Comment

hi its a Dell Inspiron 22 3000 am quite annoyed you dont get any decent instructions with it.

Comment

I have sent you a PM Val..

Comment

Finally got onto Dell support to return the pc, and what happened they fixed it, there was nothing wrong with that password it was the keyboard.
                                      I am now going to get rid of the password just in case.

Comment

Glad you got it sorted Val

Comment

Working...
                                        X