Cannot find marriage....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot find marriage....

Of my great great grandfather Edward Foster Burdis born 1814 Rochester, Northumberland.
    i know he married an Anne Jones in South Shields before she died, he then married a Catherine known as Kate, possibly in the Middlesex (London) area, as their first child Frank Burdis was born in Middlesex.

I would appreciate it if it if someone was able to point me in the right direction.
    Thanks
    Michele

First marriage for reference.

Name Edward Forster Burdis
    Spouse's Name Anne Jones
    Event Date 30 May 1835
    Event Place Saint John'S Parish, Newcastle Upon Tynes, England

1871 census for reference
    Edward F Burdis Head M 57 Newcastle, Northumberland
    Kate Burdis Wife F 45 Trinidad Tobago
    Frank F Burdis Son M 9 Wood Green, Middlesex
    Last edited by Janet H.; 30-01-17, 18:35.

Comment

Just beat me to it Janet.

1841 he is with Anne. If you need details let me know
      Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

tree on Ancestry has him marrying a Catherine Blackwell but they dont have the details

Comment

Interestingly only Henry Percy, aged 2 from the 1871 census showed up in a search of FreeBMD for Middlesex Burdis births 1861-1871 (registered Q4 1868 in Stainws). Wonder whether the older children, including Frank were registered under their mother's surname?
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Aha. Kate Ada FORSTER registered in Edmonton district Q2 1863, so if this is her, perhaps not registered under mother's surname but father's middle name.
            Last edited by JudithM; 30-01-17, 19:18.

Comment

FORSTER, KATE ADA
              BLACKWELL
              GRO Reference: 1863 J Quarter in EDMONTON Volume 03A Page 127

So this is where the Blackwell surname comes from.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

BURDIS, HENRY PERCY BLACKWELL
                GRO Reference: 1868 D Quarter in STAINES Volume 03A Page 7

So I'm not sure where the marriage is!
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:
                England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Here's Catherine BLACKWELL on the 1861 census

Comment

I can't find any proof that they ever married. I wondered if Catherine was marrying for a second time, which means we would be looking for a different surname, but according to the 1861 Census it seems not.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:

Comment

Do you know when Anne died? There's a newspaper death notice in the York Herald on 19th March 1884

Burdis - on the 17th inst. at Newcastle aged 73, Anne, widow of the late Edward Foster Burdis, formerly banker in that city
                      If this is your Anne it implies that she and Edward were still married until he died and he therefore wasn't free to marry Catherine
                      Jackie

Comment

Hi Night Owl,
                        He was a bank clerk on the 1871 census I found, so looks like he left Ann and lived with Kate/Catherine
                        Sounds like he couldnt marry Kate so no wonder we cant find a marriage

Comment

I had the Blackwell link, and had my tree with them, but another relative told me that they don't recall her being born in Trinidad and Tobago, and apparently no military link either, I hope I haven't just deleted this side of the family and it was right all along!

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                            Do you know when Anne died? There's a newspaper death notice in the York Herald on 19th March 1884

If this is your Anne it implies that she and Edward were still married until he died and he therefore wasn't free to marry Catherine
                            We had suspected that he may have left Anne, and went to London to work and never returned, which is why I am unsure of the Blackwell link

Comment

Originally posted by Elizabeth Herts View Post
                              FORSTER, KATE ADA
                              BLACKWELL

So this is where the Blackwell surname comes from.
                              Are you saying her surname is Forster or Blackwell?

Comment

Assuming these are the right people, Kate is here in 1881

and Anne is here

They both describe themselves as 'widow'. So Edward died (or went elsewhere) some time between 1871 and 1881. I haven't found anything to confirm that
                                Jackie

Comment

Originally posted by Chelly04 View Post
                                  Forster is her surname ............. usually the surname of her father but could be the mother's surname in the case of an illegitimate

Blackwell is the surname of her mother.

Does this make it clearer to you?? ...........

FORSTER, KATE ADA mmn BLACKWELL
                                  My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelly04 View Post
                                    This is from the new GRO search:

You can search to find births and in the results you will be given the mother's maiden name.
                                    Also, by filling in the mother's maiden name you can find the children of a couple.
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

Are you descended from the Kate nee Blackwell link Chelly or from the Anne Jones one?
                                      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                        Are you descended from the Kate nee Blackwell link Chelly or from the Anne Jones one?
                                        It would be Kate, as my great grandfather was last one born, Edward Herbert Burdis, who had my grandafther George Fowler Burdis, who died in 1967.

This is is my materinal side, and has taken me to the north east, London areas and as far south west as Cornwall, which is quite strange as that is where a lot of my family now live.

Comment

Working...
                                        X