Clarification please 1939 Reg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification please 1939 Reg

Can someone help to clarify with regard to the 1939 register, am I right in thinking that the names in brackets with regard to the women
    is the name of the surname of the man the woman married.

It works for two of the three women in the household I am looking at but for some unknown reason I cannot find a marriage using the surname for the third women.

The household I am looking at is John Curry (DOB 25 OCT 1921) 55 Parkgate Rd, Coventry, Warwickshire, other people on there are as follows:-

William Curry 23 Apr 1899
    Theresa Curry (Sullivan) 1 Feb 1901
    Margaret Curry (Saunders) 19 Dec 1919
    Jenny Curry (James) 12 Mar 1923

Its Theresa marriage I cannot find
    GWEN

The unbracketed name will be the most current. The names in brackets will be the first name registered, plus any subsequent that are not current.

I think it says so somewhere...

And if you look at the notes nearby - usually in green ink - it might give you a clue about when they received notification of the change of name - which would be a "no later than" date for a marriage or other formal name-change.
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-01-17, 12:56.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Having looked at the image of the page in the 1939 register all 4 people were listed with surname Curry, so that was their name in 1939. Saunders and James have been added later with a red pen M, and in Jenny's case the date 9 10 43 which would be either her marriage date or the date the change of name was notified.after a subsequent marriage. The name Sullivan was also added at a later date with a code =310 annotated. I've no idea what that refers to but she was evidently known as Mrs Curry in 1939 and there has been a subsequent name change.
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
        Can someone help to clarify with regard to the 1939 register, am I right in thinking that the names in brackets with regard to the women
        is the name of the surname of the man the woman married.

It works for two of the three women in the household I am looking at but for some unknown reason I cannot find a marriage using the surname for the third women.

The household I am looking at is John Curry (DOB 25 OCT 1921) 55 Parkgate Rd, Coventry, Warwickshire, other people on there are as follows:-

William Curry 23 Apr 1899
        Theresa Curry (Sullivan) 1 Feb 1901
        Margaret Curry (Saunders) 19 Dec 1919
        Jenny Curry (James) 12 Mar 1923

Its Theresa marriage I cannot find
        No, that is often assumed but it’s simply not correct.

The names refer to the names given they may be her husband's name or they simply be a name she was using at the time.
        She may have been living with a man and using his name to give the appearance of being a married couple or her mother may have been living with another man and they used his name, but when she left home reverted to her birth father’s name, or she may have had her own reasons for changing her name.
        The same goes for men as well, men sometimes change their name and the authorities simply used the name given to them.

It was not like the over officious world today when everything has to be proved by documentation, people used to be believed.

Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

May I beg to differ? Not sure I have read that correctly. EDIT: referring to Christine's post.
          Curry (the unbracketed name) was the name they were registered with first in 1939. The names in brackets were their married or changed names added subsequently.
          Unless I am reading your explanation wrong and you mean "The unbracketed name will be the most current ...to the 1939 register"

Capture.JPG
          Last edited by Katarzyna; 20-01-17, 14:09.
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks everyone Unfortunately this family is proving to be very difficult to trace and I am even more confused than when I started looking at this family.

Up until now all the 1939 registers I have looked at the name in brackets has been the woman married woman's name but I will in future have to keep an open mind
            because I am really not sure if Theresa was a Curry then Sullivan or Sullivan then married a Curry, the other two women the names in brackets proved to be their married names.

I think I will give up on this family every avenue I take just brings on more problems and I never seem to get anywhere, thanks again
            GWEN

Comment

Are they from County Durham, Gwen?
              Kat

Comment

Just to be a complete pedant (LOL) there are no sign of any brackets on the image shown above. The 'old' name is crossed through and the 'new' name, taken for whatever reason (Guy!) is added in another colour.
                Anne

Comment

It looks like :

Marriage
                  Sep 1921
                  Curry William M to Theresa S Turner Lanchester 10a 641

Births
                  Dec 1921
                  Curry John Turner Lanchester 10a 714
                  Jun 1923
                  Curry Jennie Turner Lanchester 10a 674

born late dec 1919 but registered early 1920 Mar qtr ?
                  Mar 1920
                  Turner Margaret Turner Lanchester 10a 871
                  Then took Curry as surname when mother married.

Deaths Sep 1946
                  Curry William M age 47 Coventry 9c 566

Perhaps as Guy suggests, she never remarried but lived with someone with that name or just changed it. Who knows
                  Kat

Comment

well done Kat I tried everything I could think of and never came up with that

Comment

Originally posted by Katarzyna View Post
                      May I beg to differ? Not sure I have read that correctly. EDIT: referring to Christine's post.
                      Curry (the unbracketed name) was the name they were registered with first in 1939. The names in brackets were their married or changed names added subsequently.
                      Unless I am reading your explanation wrong and you mean "The unbracketed name will be the most current ...to the 1939 register"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18262[/ATTACH]
                      Gwen didn't actually replicate the FMP transcription!
                      Looking at the FMP transcription, it's only Theresa whose name is that way round - and should actually be Therese - and that's possibly because CURRY isn't crossed out, as it is for the other changed names. "Sullivan" is actually added in (in both the image and the transcription) as if it's an additional given name and not a new surname**.
                      William Curry
                      Theresa (Sullivan) Curry
                      Margaret Saunders (Curry)
                      John Curry
                      Jenny James (Curry)

**That would tally with that middle initial of "S" for the marriage?
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 20-01-17, 20:27.
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sorry Christine, I interpreted your response in a different way.
                        And you guessed right

THERESA SULLIVAN
                        Last name TURNER
                        Birth year 1900
                        Birth quarter 1
                        Registration month -
                        Mother's last name -
                        District WEARDALE
                        County Durham
                        Country England
                        Volume 10A
                        Page 315
                        Kat

Comment

Thank you Kat, not sure how you found that I looked all afternoon and had to give up and clear my head, thank you so much. Hence up early to give it another go while all is quiet at home. The problem I have with this family is is I do not have a lot of information to work with its a close member of the family who has been told by his family to leave well along no one will give him any information so he can research his tree, mind I am doing it for him. What I have to go on I have found myself so he now knows a bit more now than he did. Is it possible for me to post a private message as I am looking for a birth of this person grandfather which would help me go forward to prove I have the right family on the 1939 register. His grandfather is deceased and I have his death certificate so know where he was born and when.
                          I have some details but love some guidance and help.
                          I really do appreciate everyone's input.
                          GWEN

Comment

pm sent, Gwen.
                            Kat

Comment

Working...
                            X