Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TILETHORPE / TILLTHORPE puzzle

... also RICHARDS / GERLACH

Not my tree at all, but I was intrigued by the resemblance between a WW1 PoW photo of a man with the surname GERLACH and a young person whom I know locally, with a Jewish heritage, so I was trying to work out if I could join them up... and then got more and more intrigued (as you do!).

{Almost all these records in Essex - W Ham, Romford &c)

There's a death of a Paul GERLACH, aged 77, in d 1951q4

FMP has a 1939 record of internment exemption for Paul GERLACH (a.k.a. RICHARDS), DoB 2 Jul 1874 in Bantzener, Dresden.
    The same man appears in the 1939 register, in Hornchurch, as a widower, with a family called RICHARDS, and using that surname - one of that family being "Alfred P RICHARDS", b 6 Jun 1898.

There's a Sep 1915 newspaper article where he has problems with the authorities as to whether or not he's a German alien. At that point, he's charged as "Paul Richard GERLACH".

There's a 1911 family, where Paul RICHARDS, aged 36 (i.e. b 1874-75), b Hackney (rather than Dresden), an Insurance Collector (rather than hairdresser or baker), and living with 6 children (a missing one, Rosina Emmy, b 1900q3 is elusive in 1901 & 1911 - and anywhere else, really), and a wife called "Frances M", aged 42 (i.e. b 1868-69), b York - married 14 years (1896-97). The children's GRO entries have mmn = TILLTHORPE (except one which is TILTHORPE)

In 1901, in Romford, there's a Paul GERLACH, aged 24 (1876-77) b Germany, a baker, with a (younger-than-he) wife called Annie, and one son. I can find no trace of a Paul RICHARDS/GERLACH of the right age in the 1901 Irish census - nor of other members of that family. This baker may be a red herring (though I haven't actually ruled him out), because as well as the contradictory family, Paul RICHARDS was in S Africa, according to his service record... although Paul's occupation in that 1939 internment exemption is "baker"...

Two of the 1911 family were born in Ireland - in 1897-1900 year range. I found the birth reg of the first child ("Charles G RICHARDS" in the census)... "G" stands for "Gerlach". And the father, Paul, was Pte in the 17th Lancers. The birth reg of the second ("Alfred P") eludes me.

There's a York marriage in 1896q4, of Paul RICHARDS & Frances Mary TILETHORPE/TILLTHORPE.
    If you look up the surnames TILETHORPE & TILLTHORPE, you'll see that they are extreeeeeemely rare. Just that one (marriage) record for TILLTHORPE in Ancestry worldwide (I don't have a sub for worldwide, but - of course- they attempt to lure me into upgrading by offering possible records... normally). TILETHORPE has a handfull, including a few in Norfolk, England. That was quite unexpected, because I thought that the "-thorpe" ending was a certainty for that part of the country.

Paul RICHARDS had a service record for Lancers - 17th (Duke Of Cambridge's Own), which includes that marriage and lists his NoK, initially, as father: Charles RICHARDS (rather than Carl GERLACH) at 60 Station Rd, Forest Gate which is right for 1891. And Paul's a hairdresser, which ties in with 1891 (where he's GERLACH, instead of RICHARDS).

My initial reason for posting this wa puzzlement about the TILLTHORPE/TILETHORPE surname, but I posted the rest because the whole thing intrigues me.

Please don't spend lots of time - and certainly not any money - on this. I'm not doing it for anyone in particular, but just got sucked into the puzzle.

... And I suppose it might get picked up one day by someone trying to unravel it, and something I've put here might help...
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...
Working...
X