james a mcwilliams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• james a mcwilliams

Could anyone help with finding information about a James A McWILLIAMS B 1765c ,possibly Stranraer ,Wigtownshire, Scotland .He married in Stranraer Hannah ? Cochrane b 1765c ,possibly Germany. They married in Stranraer in 1789. I would like to find James and Hannah`s parents . Cochrane doesn`t sound German .Grateful for anything at all .
    Thanks
    Julip

Are you sure about the wife's name? Family search is showing James McWILLIAM married Isobel COCHRAN 11 Feb at Stoneykirk or 12 Feb 1789 at Stranraer Wigtownshire. They had several children in Stranraer.

There is more than one possibility of a birth for James in Wigtownshire though that for 31 May 1741 is possible given that the mother is Grizel [and is also the name of one of his children]

There are two possible birth options for Isobel in Wigtownshire though that for 03 May 1758 at Stoneykirk is possible given marriage location.

Comment

From rootsweb Stoneykirk marriages:

"James McWilliam in the Parish of Stranraer and Isabel Corcran in this Parish were booked for Proclamation of Banns in order to Marriage on the 30th of January and were Married on the 12th of February 1789"

Comment

Thanks for the info you found ,Bertie . It seems the marriage for James and Isabel could be the one ,given the dates . Perhaps Hannah was her middle name ? Now I have a few names to go on . The German connection is looking a bit hazy now.
        Much obliged
        Julip.

Comment

Just a thought.....I wonder if her Surname was Corcoran which is a common surname on the Isle of Man, where there is a parish called German!

OC

Comment

Thanks OC,
            Something to think about , that would be a coincidence !

Julip

Comment

Working...
            X