The wife of Thomas Keeler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The wife of Thomas Keeler

Thomas is found in 1881 b.1855 with his wife Susannah and son Charles. Prior to the new GRO index I had found a marriage to a Susannah RAINES with apparently no other possibilities so I was quite confident. However with the advent of the new GRO index I was able to check the mmn of Charles and there is none with a mmn of RAINES. There is one with KNIGHT and one with ELLEN. KNIGHT is, I think, accounted for by the marriage of Henry KEELER to Mary Ann KNIGHT, but I cannot explain ELLEN.

In case Susannah was previously married to a man called RAINES and had a maiden name of ELLEN I looked for a marriage of a Susannah ELLEN to a RAINES but could not find one.

So I am left with two (or maybe three) mysteries, which may have the same solution:

Who were the parents of Charles KEELER with a mmn of ELLEN, and

Who was the wife of Thomas and who, if different, was the mother of Charles?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

I think you are correct that Susannah Raines was the wife of Charles. Looking at the GRO index and comparing the names of the children on the 1891 census, it seems to fit, albeit with a few variations on spelling/transcription!

KEELER, SUSAN AMELIA - RAINS
    GRO Reference: 1891 M Quarter in ELHAM Volume 02A Page 1046

KEELER, HARRIETT ELLEN - RAMS
    GRO Reference: 1889 M Quarter in ELHAM Volume 02A Page 1029

KEELER, MARY JANE - RAINES
    GRO Reference: 1886 S Quarter in ELHAM Volume 02A Page 1050

KEILER, ELIZABETH ANNIE - BAINS
    GRO Reference: 1883 S Quarter in ELHAM Volume 02A Page 994

Not having much luck finding a registration for Charles which ties in with these!
    Elaine

Comment

This is a possibility for Charles who is shown as three months old on the 1881 census. Born Upper Hardres which comes under Bridge registration district.

KEELER, WILLIAM CHARLES - RAIN
      GRO Reference: 1881 M Quarter in BRIDGE Volume 02A Page 797
      Elaine

Comment

I think Elaine has found the right birth. He appears to have called himself Charles on everything except his marriage and children's baptisms, where he was William Charles. On 9th Nov 1902 he married Flora Jane Goldfinch in Eltham as Willam Charles Keeler.

I believe this is Charles (William Charles) in 1911 - http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...&usePUBJs=true
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks ladies.

I think Elaine has dealt with the ELLEN child (I had not looked so far back for the marriage)

It appears that Thomas's son was registered as William Charles but in 1881 and elsewhere was recorded as Charles W, which is confusing enough without another boy registered as Charles William (mmn KNIGHT).

Name William Charles Keeler
          Event Type Birth Registration
          Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar
          Registration Year 1881
          Registration District Bridge
          County Kent
          Event Place Bridge, Kent, England
          Volume 2A
          Page 797
          Line Number 345

Name Charles William Keeler
          Event Type Birth Registration