A fresh look ~ William Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fresh look ~ William Brown

Some of you may remember my William Brown that was the Grenadier Guard. He married [twice!] Ann Larkin/s once in 1865 [st Stephens, Paddington] [Kensington Reg Dist] and again in 1869 The Royal Chapel, [in the Tower of London] [Whitechapel Reg Dist]

they had two children, Adaline Brown. B. 04 Sept 1868 Camden Place Notting Hill [Kensington Reg Dist] and William Brown b.1870 [it states London on the 1871 census] and he was aged 6months.

1871:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...v=1&ml_rpos=77

upon looking in the GRO index I have found a birth for a William Henry Brown 1870 MMN Larkins D Quarter [Dec?] in St George Hanover Square.

could this be 'my' William?

I don't know London very well and I am not sure if he would be mine or not.

I have found a William Henry Brown in 1911 but I can't spot him anywhere else he states he was born Kilburn, London.. [just not sure if he could be the one on the index]

Could someone help me prove/disprove this please..

thank you
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

William Henry Brown b. 1870 Kilburn, London

1911:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=41522817
    Source Citation
    Class: RG14; Piece: 3017; Schedule Number: 55

1891: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...v=1&ml_rpos=44
    Source Citation
    Class: RG12; Piece: 1046; Folio: 93; Page: 3; GSU roll: 6096156
    Julie

Comment

you dont think this could be him do you ? if so I can send the images
      William
      Last name Brown
      Birth year 1871
      Birth parish St Georges E
      Birth town London
      Service number 3239
      Year 1893
      Attestation date 26 Apr 1893
      Attestation age years 22
      Attestation age months 3
      Attestation service number 3239
      Attestation corps 5th Battn The Rifle Brigade Regiment
      Document type Attestation
      Series WO 96 - Militia service records 1806-1915

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        you dont think this could be him do you ? if so I can send the images
        William
        Last name Brown
        Birth year 1871
        Birth parish St Georges E
        Birth town London
        Service number 3239
        Year 1893
        Attestation date 26 Apr 1893
        Attestation age years 22
        Attestation age months 3
        Attestation service number 3239
        Attestation corps 5th Battn The Rifle Brigade Regiment
        Document type Attestation
        Series WO 96 - Militia service records 1806-1915
        who Val? William Henry Brown b. Kilburn

I know that William [the Gren Guard] and his family move from London to Kirkby, Nottinghamshire after he got discharged from the guards in Jan 1871 [I think it was] on ill health. He sadly dies in 1872 [Wm Sr that is] and his wife marries again.

I cannot find ANY trace of William Jr b. 1870 :(
        Julie

Comment

there is a William Henry Brown born 1870 a habitual criminal ? wonder if thats him, do you think he may have moved back to London

Comment

there is a William Henry Brown born 1870 a habitual criminal ? wonder if thats him, do you think he may have moved back to London
            I don't know Val.. I know that William Jr is on the 1871 cens with his mum, then nothing he never appears on 1881 with his mum/sister.

I have never found a record of his birth or a baptism, so was wondering/hoping that the 1870 MMN Larkins was him. I just can't seem to make any headway with this at all. I was kind of hoping that I could maybe find the one in ST George Hanover Sq that would either prove or disprove him.

Looking again at the 1869 marriage cert it states that Ann Larkins was residing in Kensington at the time of her marriage. Is St Geo Hanover Sq near there?
            Julie

Comment

Don't know if it was the same back then, but this is Kensington today, and the red X is where St George Hanover Square is.

Kensington map.jpg
              Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

who did Ann Marry after he died ?

Comment

Originally posted by ozgirl View Post
                  Don't know if it was the same back then, but this is Kensington today, and the red X is where St George Hanover Square is.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18248[/ATTACH]
                  thanks chick x not sure how/why/if it helps, I have been looking at maps till i'm bog eyed..lol
                  Julie

Comment

who did Ann Marry after he died ?
                    John Chadbourne they moved from Kirkby to Hucknall in the 1881 cens and she died in 1890 [so I don't know where in Ireland she was born]
                    Julie

Comment

I do think that birth is probably the right one as the 1871 census was taken the 2 April and it says he is 4 months, so more than likely registered in Dec quarter 1870

Comment

I do think that birth is probably the right one as the 1871 census was taken the 2 April and it says he is 4 months, so more than likely registered in Dec quarter 1870
                        I know that there is a few Larkins in Kensington, as from what I can gather is that Kensington was the Irish capital of London..

I know that there is a baptism for Adaline @ St Stephens Paddington, but I can't spot the blooming thing now!! [I think if I remember rightly that the address was Pickering Place]

in 1871 he was 6 months old so I'd calculated that it would be Dec Q 1870 when he was born too [which lead to the initial query] :smilee:
                        Julie

Comment

Posted and didn't press the button hard enough

Parts of kilburn in NW London are in Westminster. It's the parts near the Harrow Road W9

There is reg district for Westminster St Margaret which was abolished in July 1870 to become St George Hanover
                          So that William H reg looks good for a Kilburn residence

There was also a reg office created in Westminster at Harrow Road but that was created from St
                          James reg district

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 12-01-17, 23:54.

Comment

Hi Vera you okay ? I have been looking for Adaline and William most of the evening but got nothing definite, I did wonder if they were taken in by Barnado's as when the Father dies they automatically say they are orphans I believe.

Comment

Find Val thanks. Hope all ok with you.

Going round in circles a bit with this one. I think I need to read the thread thoroughly. My neck of the woods in the 70's.. Was married in the Harrow Road.

The 1911 census of William H gives a dob for 1870 but the same chap in the 1939 gives one for 22 Aug 1865. Maybe he just forgot but then not likely to forget his birthday. That would make him aged 35 at the time of birth of 1st child with Ellen Martha (Burrows) aged 15

Could be Val. Hence his ending up in Surrey.

Vera
                              Last edited by vera2013; 13-01-17, 02:02.

Comment

Hi Vera you okay ? I have been looking for Adaline and William most of the evening but got nothing definite, I did wonder if they were taken in by Barnado's as when the Father dies they automatically say they are orphans I believe.
                                No I can definitely say they didn't end up with Barnardo's. Adaline appears in 1881/1891/1901/1911 until her death in 1916.

I didn't think about this earlier but I should have linked to the previous threads duh!!

Timeline:

1841: Wlliam Brown born [have cert]
                                1842: Ann Larkins born [though according to census and various certs it could be from 1842-1847]
                                1859: William enlists with foot guards [have service recs]
                                1861: CENSUS William states married in this but as a soldier in Chichester Barracks [but not entirely sure that this is him]
                                1865: William marries Ann Larkins in KENSINGTON REG DIST [have cert]
                                1868: Adaline Brown born [have cert]
                                1869: William re marries Ann @ tower of london [WHITECHAPEL REG DIST] Ann states she was living in KENSINGTON at time of marriage [have cert]
                                1870: FEB: William pensioned out of Gren Guards
                                1870: William Brown Jr born in London [O-N-D 1870]
                                1871: William had returned home to Kirkby with Ann & the children and listed in the 1871 census in Nottinghamshire. [William jr the son of William & Ann was 6 months old on 1871 cens, which means his birth would have taken place OND 1870]
                                1872: William dies due to heart problem. [have cert]
                                1876: Ann marries John Chadbourne 20 Feb 1876 @ Parish Church, Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottm. [have cert]
                                1876: Theresa Chadbourne born 25 Apr 1876 @ Kirkby in Ashfield. (have cert) (Bapt 11 Nov 1876, @ St. Barnabas Cathedral Nottingham)
                                1879: John Chadbourne born 17 Sept 1879 @ Hucknall Torkard, Nottm (have cert)
                                1880: Theresa dies (have cert)
                                1881: CENSUS Ann with John Chadbourne & Children Adaline & John
                                1882: Arthur Chadbourne born 10 dec 1882 (have cert) (bapt 31 Aug 1883, Holy Cross RC church, Hucknall Torkard)
                                Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-01-17, 17:34.
                                Julie

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                  Posted and didn't press the button hard enough

Parts of kilburn in NW London are in Westminster. It's the parts near the Harrow Road W9

There is reg district for Westminster St Margaret which was abolished in July 1870 to become St George Hanover
                                  So that William H reg looks good for a Kilburn residence

There was also a reg office created in Westminster at Harrow Road but that was created from St
                                  James reg district

Vera
                                  oh. :(

so are you saying that the William Henry b. Kilburn s/o Charles could very well be the D Quart W. H. Brown? [and not 'my' William?]
                                  Julie

Comment

Looking at the deaths in the Basford area between 1871 and 1881, there are 2 or 3 possibles listed as William only, one dying in Sep Q 1871 aged 0, and one dying in Jun Q 1873 aged 2. The third one died in Mar Q 1871 aged 0, but unless they filled in the census early he wouldn't have been on it.
                                    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                      oh. :(

so are you saying that the William Henry b. Kilburn s/o Charles could very well be the D Quart W. H. Brown? [and not 'my' William?]
                                      The Charles and Jane 1891 is not your William. Jane's maiden name is Swift. Same mmn for all the children and that William is William James reg Hendon which would fit if he lived in the more northern part of Killburn at that time. All the other children have Killburn for their pob but depending on where and when they were born are Registered in Paddington and Kensington.

Will re-check those threads

Vera

Comment

Originally posted by vera2013 View Post
                                        The Charles and Jane 1891 is not your William. Jane's maiden name is Swift. Same mmn for all the children and that William is William James reg Hendon which would fit if he lived in the more northern part of Killburn at that time. All the other children have Killburn for their pob but depending on where and when they were born are Registered in Paddington and Kensington.

Will re-check those threads

Vera
                                        I got all excited when I was looking for them too.. but I found another Charles & Jane with a son William too.. in around same area.
                                        I'm not sure that these are the same family.

1881: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...&rhSource=6598
                                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 13-01-17, 14:11.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X