Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Henry Walters

Hi all

I'm trying to trace more information about my great grandfather Thomas Henry Walters who was born in Sydney around June/July 1867. A family story has it that his parents owned a family newspaper the Sydney Post which when they died, he used his inheritance to travel the world. Somewhere he met Fanny Hysome (1877) from Sussex, England. They married on 24th June 1899 in Durban, South Africa and had 4 children. He worked for the Natal Goverment Railroads, apparently later joined the Freemasons and died 26th March 1943.

This is around the period that this Thomas Henry Walters (son of Samuel and Jane Kemp) of NSW was born July 1867. We've compared family photos between this Thomas Henry's sister and my grandfather and there appears be a similarity. However it would be nice to find some more conclusive....

Does any one have any leads?

Cheers

I see the marriage cert's online, but it doesn't help:

As SA was still under British rule in 1899 I thought it'd give his father's name, but no.

How do you know he was born in Sydney?

Comment

Fanny's school record:
      First name(s) Fanny
      Last name Hysome
      Birth year 1877
      Birth date 21 Jan 1877
      Event year 1883
      School name Rogate Church of England School
      Town Rogate
      County Sussex
      Country England
      Parent name(s) Wm Hysome
      Book type Admissions
      Archive reference E159/13/1/3
      Folio / page no. 13
      Archive West Sussex Record Office
      Record set National School Admission Registers & Log-books 1870-1914
      People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
      Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

If you haven't already done so, it'd be worth searching the old Australian newspapers for Thomas and the possible parents:

Trove - The National Library of Australia, in collaboration with Australian State and Territory libraries, runs the Australian Newspaper Digitization Program with the aim of making as many publications available online as possible.

I've had a quick look, but I haven't found anything so far.

Comment

I have searched the Death Index for New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria & Western Australia 1867-1970 & there is no entry for Thomas Henry Walters s/o Samuel.

These are the Australian Cemeteries Index listings for Samuel & Jane

In the Sydney Morning Herald 4 July 1899 there are "In Memoriam" notices for Samuel, inserted by his wife & daughter, & son Alfred - but nothing from Thomas.

Comment

Mary from Italy: You are right about the marriage certificate. His death certificate also only states his parents names as DECEASED. I will need to check how I figured out he was born in Sydney.

webwiz: thank you SO much for this info. I will need to check where I got the date 25 Feb 1877 from as it must have been her baptism. Please could you explain where you got the info from as I would like to get similar information for her siblings.

Mary from Italy: yes I have tried that and no luck.

Vivian: perhaps I should have been clearer that I have not yet established a link between my grandfather Thomas Henry Walters and THW son of Samuel and Jane. My grandfather died in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.

Comment

What I meant was, that not finding a death entry for him in Australia, leaves the door open for him being your Thomas Henry WALTERS.

There was only 1 Thomas H. WALTERS born in the period 1860-1875 in New South Wales.

You can search the Index here
              Last edited by Vivian; 12-01-17, 02:27. Reason: Added more details

Comment

Originally posted by smpl View Post
                Mary from Italy: You are right about the marriage certificate. His death certificate also only states his parents names as DECEASED. I will need to check how I figured out he was born in Sydney.

webwiz: thank you SO much for this info. I will need to check where I got the date 25 Feb 1877 from as it must have been her baptism. Please could you explain where you got the info from as I would like to get similar information for her siblings.

Vivian: perhaps I should have been clearer that I have not yet established a link between my grandfather Thomas Henry Walters and THW son of Samuel and Jane. My grandfather died in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa.
                What else is on the death certificate?

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by smpl View Post

What else is on the death certificate? Have you thought about DNA comparison with the other family using the ancestry offer?

Margaret

Comment

Vivian: I like your logic! Thanks for that.

margeretmarch. Yes I am considering a DNA test. Find below his death cert:

Comment

Originally posted by Vivian View Post
                      What I meant was, that not finding a death entry for him in Australia, leaves the door open for him being your Thomas Henry WALTERS.

There was only 1 Thomas H. WALTERS born in the period 1860-1875 in New South Wales.

You can search the Index here
                      Just an update - this Thomas H. WALTERS was born on 1st July 1867 (you can narrow down the date on the search form)

Comment

I've managed to determine that my Thomas Henry Walters is not related to Samuel Walters by taking a Y-DNA test.

Does anyone have ant ideas on how else I could track down the parents of THW who was known to be born in Australia in 1878 or who who sold a family newspaper?

Comment

Working...
                        X