Williams/Bosworth Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Williams/Bosworth Family

I have had a few years away from researching my family tree but now I think it is time to carry on where I finished,

I have sorted out my fathers side of the family tree going all the way back to the early 1800s, I am looking for any info or people searching the Williams/Bosworth family. The details I have are
    Hilary B Bosworth DOB 11/05/26 DOD11/10/01
    John T Williams DOB 04/08/25 DOD Aug 68

They married in Jun 1943, they had 6 children one of which is my mum Beryl J P Williams (deceased)
    Is there anyone who could help me with this side of the family tree

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 11-01-17, 11:37. Reason: deceased added to mother's name

Hi Jamie,

I've had a look on Ancestry, and there were 9 children with the surname Williams and mother's maiden name Bosworth born in the Wolverhampton registration district between 1944 and 1956. I can't see another Williams-Bosworth marriage, so it's possible that John and Hilary had three more children who died in infancy. As the surname's a common one, I haven't worked out which ones yet.

Do you have a subscription to Ancestry or FindmyPast? It'd be worth getting one if you want to trace this branch of your family. You may also be able to access both sites for free at your local library.

I've had a look at the 1939 Register on FindmyPast, but neither Hilary nor John appear, probably because they were born too recently; for privacy reasons FMP has to conceal the names of people born after about 1916, if I remember rightly. You can apply to have their names unhidden if you produce a death cert.
    Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-01-17, 14:09.

Comment

I haven't found a likely birth for John so far that matches the birthdate you give. Do you know where he was born?

This will be Hilary's birth:

Births Jun 1926
      Bosworth Hilary B / mmn Jones / Wolverhampton / 6b 992

As they both have common surnames, to be on the safe side I think you'd do well to buy Hilary and John's marriage cert, which will give you their fathers' names and occupations.

This is the official GRO site, which is the cheapest place to buy certs:

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
        I can't see another Williams-Bosworth marriage, so it's possible that John and Hilary had three more children who died in infancy.
        Sorry, it's too late to edit the above message, but there is a Williams-Bosworth marriage in Wolverhampton in 1928, so it's not impossible that the extra 3 children belonged to that couple.

Comment

There were 8 children with the surname Bosworth and mmn Jones born in the Wolverhampton RD between 1912 and 1926. There may be some earlier ones, but the birth index doesn't show mmn until 1911.

I thought this marriage (from FreeBMD) was a possibility for their parents:

Marriages Sep 1908
          BOSWORTH William Wolstanton 6b 217
          JONES Ellenor Myfanwy Wolstanton 6b 217
          OWEN Ellen Wolstanton 6b 217
          PARRY John David Wolstanton 6b 217

but it turns out to be the wrong one, because according to the Staffs BMD site William Bosworth married Ellen Owen.

There are some Wolverhampton records here:

which might be worth looking at for burials, and earlier baptisms if we get back that far.

Comment

One of the Bosworth/Jones children, Benjamin b. 1915 (who would be Hilary's brother), is on the 1939 register with a William Bosworth born 1909, which unfortunately doesn't help, because in 1911 William is in hospital, so we still don't know his parents' names. Assuming William is his brother (the 1939 Register doesn't give relationships), their parents were presumably married in or before 1909.

The head of the household in 1939 is a Florence Faulkner, born 1888, and there are also two hidden records, possibly siblings of William and Benjamin.

I think Florence is their mother, who remarried in :

Marriages Mar 1929
            BOSWORTH Florence / Faulkner / Wolverhampton / 6b 907
            Faulkner George / Bosworth / Wolverhampton / 6b 907

And this might be her first marriage:

Marriages Jun 1898
            BALLARD Louise Elizabeth King's N 6c 810
            BOSWORTH William King's N. 6c 810
            Cooper Oswald Herbert King's N. 6c 810
            YATES Florence King's N. 6c 810

In 1911 Florence Bosworth, 29, is in Wolverhampton with husband George Henry Bosworth, 29, and daughter Nancy Violet, 8, all three born in Wolverhampton. She says there were two children of the marriage, one living and one deceased.

Comment

That 1898 marriage is confirmed by West Midlands BMD:

1898: BOSWORTH William / YATES Florence / Smethwick, St Mary

I'm not convinced that the 1911 couple are the right one, though; the only likely birth I can see for Nancy has mmn Edwards, and if the William in hospital was theirs, they should have had two living children. Florence's age also doesn't match the 1939 Florence.
              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 10-01-17, 15:27.

Comment

Hi Mary

Thank you for your help, I will look into getting the marriage certificate so I can find other info, this is the hard side of the family to find, my dads side was a lot easier to do but this seems impossible

Comment

Has the prohibition on naming people who are or who might be alive been lifted?
                  People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
                  Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                    I had reported it 4 hrs ago and got a reply. thought it had been done
                    Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Originally posted by webwiz View Post
                      Sorry, I am obviously missing something here. Kat did contact me earlier. The only possible living person that I could see mentioned was in the first post where Jamie named his mother. I thought I had edited this out, but obviously didn't.

If there are other names I have missed could you let me know please.
                      Elaine

Comment

Bosworth is often a gypsy/traveller name. Is that likely here?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Thorpe View Post
                          Thank you for your help, I will look into getting the marriage certificate so I can find other info, this is the hard side of the family to find, my dads side was a lot easier to do but this seems impossible
                          No reason why it should be impossible, but you probably will need at least that cert.

Comment

Hi Elaine, I should have put in the post that my mum had died so putting the name back is ok, she died march 2012

Comment

Thanks Jamie, will edit the post for you.
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                There were 8 children with the surname Bosworth and mmn Jones born in the Wolverhampton RD between 1912 and 1926. There may be some earlier ones, but the birth index doesn't show mmn until 1911.
                                Mary - the GRO now have an index on their website which gives MMN back to 1837 and of course that is free.

There are some irritations to the search on that in as much as you are restricted to 2 years at a time and have to search for males and females separately but it is a great resource for checking previously unchecked births.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Bosworth is often a gypsy/traveller name. Is that likely here?

OC
                                  You aren't getting mixed up with Boswell are you OC? I have Boswell gypsies in my tree.
                                  Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Yep, I am getting mixed up, it's Boswells who are gypsies, not Bosworths!

*slinks off thread, all red faced*

OC

Comment

Hi Mary, I have looked on the site you have recommended but as I don't know the exact DOB it wont let me order a certificate, however I can order one directly off the ancestry site

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie Thorpe View Post
                                        Hi Mary, I have looked on the site you have recommended but as I don't know the exact DOB it wont let me order a certificate, however I can order one directly off the ancestry site
                                        Ouch! that will cost twice as much as GRO charge.

Try the local Register Office (as shown on the index) first, they will only need name, quarter and year to find the entry. That will cost similar to GRO.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X