Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles Perry b c1816 sussex or was he? 1851 and 1891 census.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles Perry b c1816 sussex or was he? 1851 and 1891 census.

I am searching for Charles Perry b. c1816 in Brighton however in the 1881 census he changes his name to Carrow Perry and stated he was born in Davenport Cheshire. Despite the name, I am actually researching this family for a friend

In 1861, 71 and 81 he cites his occupation as various types of Hawker.

He is married to Louisa b Hastings c1826

sorting through the children there appears to be Sarah c 1853, Elizabeth c 1853 James c 1856 Phoebe 1859 (spelt in numerous ways) Mary (Ann) c 1861 William c 1864 Isaac c 1866, Matthew c 1869 and possibly Martha c 1869 although I query if this may be Matthew most appear to have been born in Kilndown Sussex. Also Charles b 1849 b Beckley Sussex who is the link into the family so know details related to him.

My query is if anyone can find any baptism, marriage, 1851 or 1891 census where I might find Charles senior and Louisa.

The family fragment by 1891, Mary Ann is married and William is boarding with them. I have found a couple of the boys in 1891 too and Matthew appears to have joined the army but later deserted but no sign of Charles and Louisa. There may be a death for Charles in 1899, but cannot be sure of this.

I wonder if Louisa may have been a second marriage or a second name... but I am now getting in such a muddle about the family. So anyone wishing to help would be lovely. Many thanks
    Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

could this be Louisa's burial
    Louisa
    Last name Perry
    Age 58
    Birth year 1825
    Burial year 1883
    Burial date 24 Jan 1883
    Place Sawbridgeworth
    County Hertfordshire

Comment

Using the GRO searchable database on Phoebe and Isaac, I would guess that Louisa's maiden name was HILAND/HYLAND. Confirmed for Matthew!

C
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

FMP can't pick up a marriage for Louisa HYLAND to [] PERRY in any useful timeframe, even with variants allowed. I'll try for some other options... Nothing obvious in FreeBMD, either...
        In both cases I was looking at England & Wales records. Is there any likelihood that they would have married in Scotland, say, or somewhere outside the E&W limitaion?
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-01-17, 13:35.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

how about
          Louisa
          Last name Hyland
          Marriage year 1842
          Marriage date 1842
          Marriage place Hastings
          Father's first name(s) Samuel
          Father's last name Hyland
          Spouse's first name(s) John
          Spouse's last name Harris
          Spouse's father's first name(s) Samuel
          Spouse's father's last name Harris
          Residence Hastings, Sussex, England
          County Sussex
          Country England

Comment

On the new GRO search both Charles and Isaac Perry have the monther's maiden name given as Hyland.

However, I haven't been able to find a Perry-Hyland marriage yet, so perhaps it was a 2nd marriage.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

if thats the right marriage this could be her son
              Harris John
              Mothers maiden name Hyland
              GRO Reference: 1843 D Quarter in
              The Hastings Union Volume 07 Page 354

Comment

Thank you Christine, Elizabeth and Val.

I will keep the Herts death in mind but they are based in Kent/East Sussex, but of course that is never a fail safe.

Thank you re the mothers maiden name, I must remember the GRO as a resource. Now I have a bit more of a search base for the family. Thank you, they do appear to just pop up as a family and then disappear again. Will now look at that Harris/Hyland marriage. Thank you

Christine you asked re further afield marriage. Although from the research on the later generations it feels unlikely ie they are on that East Sussex/Kent area, as there are merchant seaman throughout, it is possible but unlikely. I found an apprenticed Charles Perry as a Merchant Seaman aged about 17 and wondered if it may be him and I also am keeping in mind and 1841 Charles Perry soldier at Chatham, just in case.

I am on holiday in a week or so, but when I return I will take a month sub for findmypast to access the papers. I went back to Ancestry but wish I'd renewed FMP now.
                Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Sussex FH Group has a lot of records that might be of use to you, and that membership is not a 3-figure sum, like FMP or Ancestry at full price. It's SFHG records that are available via FMP, I think.
                  In any case, there are a couple of HYLAND births in Salehurst - which is north of Hastings a main road out. They're on FMP - but look as if they should be on FamilySearch.
                  Anne, b 1824, bap 9 Jan 1825, d/o Henry & Lucy HYLAND. [C13548-7]
                  Caroline b 1827, bap 1827, d/o Henry & Eleanor HYLAND.

There's a likely-looking marriage for Henry/Lucy on FamilySearch:
                  Name Henry HYLAND
                  Event Type Marriage
                  Event Date 26 Aug 1820
                  Event Place Salehurst, Sussex, England
                  Gender Male
                  Age 22
                  Marital Status Single
                  Birth Year (Estimated) 1798
                  Spouse's Name Lucy BLACKFORD
                  Spouse's Gender Female
                  Spouse's Age 28
                  Spouse's Marital Status Single
                  Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated) 1792

This might all be a red herring, but it looks promising!

Comment

Thank you Christine at the moment I am looking at John Harris/Lucy Hyland and there is a possibility as there is a death for a John Harris in 1844 Hastings, now about to check census' to add weight or disprove possibility.

Incidently is it me or is it more difficult to search parish records on familysearch?
                    Bubblebelle x

Comment

I fond myself wondering whether "Lucy" died and "Eleanor" was married sometime around 1826. I can't find a baptism for Louisa... or not for that family, anyway.

On the other hand... If Louisa's DoB is 1821, rather than 1826, this is also on FamilySearch (C13558-7)...
                      Name Louisa HYLAND
                      Gender Female
                      Christening Date 05 Oct 1821
                      Christening Place St Clements, Hastings, Sussex, England
                      Father's Name Samuel HYLAND
                      Mother's Name Hanna

And I note that that is compatible with Val's proposed 1842 marriage record.

Comment

Originally posted by bubblebelle View Post
                        Thank you Christine at the moment I am looking at John Harris/Lucy Hyland and there is a possibility as there is a death for a John Harris in 1844 Hastings, now about to check census' to add weight or disprove possibility.

Incidently is it me or is it more difficult to search parish records on familysearch?
                        It's probably practice! Working out what info you need to include to get the best results.

"death for a John Harris in 1844 Hastings" - he was aged 4, according to the GRO. That should be in years, but is sometimes in months or weeks or days.
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 08-01-17, 14:32.

Comment

Possibly Louisa's death:

First name(s) LOUISA
                          Last name PERRY
                          Gender Female
                          Birth day -
                          Birth month -
                          Birth year 1821
                          Age 85
                          Death quarter 2
                          Death year 1906
                          District CRANBROOK
                          County Kent
                          Volume 2A
                          Page 487
                          Country England
                          Record set England & Wales deaths 1837-2007

It is the same registration district as the children's births.
                          Elizabeth
                          Research Interests:
                          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks Christine, yes I have been looking at the Samuel and Hanna birth which relates to the marriage.

Thanks for excluding the 1844 death.
                            Bubblebelle x

Comment

Hmm there is a John and Louisa Harris in Greenwich in 1851, she born Hastings 1821, another backburner there for now.

Just seen your post re death Elizabeth, that looks interesting Thank you.
                              Last edited by bubblebelle; 08-01-17, 14:44.
                              Bubblebelle x

Comment

Re. the Hyland family:

Genealogy and Local History for the Family Historian in Hastings and 1066 Country, incorporating Baptism, Marriage and Burial Registers, Census Returns, Monumental Inscriptions plus Street and Trade Directories, etc, from Archives in East Sussex. ,

This shows Hastings burials. It shows the burial of a Hannah Hyland aged 30 in 1825.

If this is Samuel's wife, I wonder if he married again?
                                Elizabeth
                                Research Interests:

Comment

Here is the marriage of Samuel Hyland and Hannah:

Name: Samuel Hyland
                                  Spouse's Name: Hannah Cruttenden
                                  Marriage Date: 22 Oct 1818
                                  Marriage Place: Hastings, Sussex, England
                                  Elizabeth
                                  Research Interests:

Comment

Samuel married again after Hannah's death:

Name: Samuel Hyland
                                    Spouse's Name: Harriott Robinson
                                    Marriage Date: 26 Nov 1826
                                    Marriage Place: Hastings, Sussex, England
                                    Elizabeth
                                    Research Interests:

Comment

Here they are in 1841:

But I'm not sure if this is the same Samuel as he was born rather late (1801 - 1803) according to the censuses.
                                      Elizabeth
                                      Research Interests:

Comment

Thanks again Elizabeth. I have given it up for today as I am getting into a total muddle again. I have found a possible other Louisa Hyland in the 1841 census as I am not totally sure of the Louisa who married John Harris as I may have found them together in 1851 in Greenwich, so would preclude her with Charles at the time of the childrens birth, if of course the John and Louisa Harris are the same.
                                        Bubblebelle x

Comment

Working...
                                        X